Author Topic: Emily Audley died Victoria, Australia in 1893  (Read 2750 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Audley died Victoria, Australia in 1893
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Sparret,
 In the Victoria State Rate books I have managed to find them on a well known website. What does it mean that Emily's occupation was boarder? Does it mean that she rented the house off a person called Mrs McCrae and then took in paying lodgers? Both Emily and her sister were dressmakers.  There appears to be several people with the surname Audley in Fitzroy, Melbourne, who are not related to the Sarah and Emily Audley I am interested in.  This makes me concerned that the Emily and Sarah in Fitzroy could be from a different branch of the Audley Family. I will need to do a bit more research on these rate books.

I am assuming the term boarder means lodger in the place owned by Mrs McCrae (etc)
I agree with you about the uncertainty of them being the correct women.

Another Emily AUDLEY was AUDLEY by marriage

Marriage 
Edward Lyndhurst AUDLEY
HYDE  Emily
Yr 1876 Reg3759

Her death

AUDLEY  Emily
HYDE Harry Robert
Susan (Stringer)
Yr 1923 Reg5572

She was living in Fitzroy 1880 Death Notice of a child
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/150649843

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparrett (Sue)

Many thanks for your last reply.

Edward Lyndhurst who married Emily Hyde is part of a completely different branch of the Audley Family. I have quite a lot of information about that branch of the Audley Family.

Regards
Brian

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 August 18 06:06 BST (UK) »
Possibilities from the Victorian Directories:

1872 - Audley Misses dressmakers – 149 Collins st e
1873 - Audley Misses – Grey Street EM
1874/5/6 - Audley Miss - 3 Victoria Parade
1877 – No mention
1878 - Audley Misses – 5 & 7 Victoria Parade F
1879 – Audley Emily – 6 Park Terrace Fitzroy st, St Kilda
1880/1/2 – Audley Misses E & S – 92 Nicholson st F
1884 - Audley Misses E & S – Albert st EM
1885 - Audley Misses E & S – 5 Albert st EM
1890/2/3 - Audley Misses E & S – 128 Wellington par north EM
1895/6 – No Mention

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 August 18 06:26 BST (UK) »
PS As these books list the main occupants, I doubt that they were lodgers themselves while they were residing in 92 Nicholson st Fitzroy. Currently the remark occupation=boarder is still ambiguous ...

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 August 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
PS As these books list the main occupants, I doubt that they were lodgers themselves while they were residing in 92 Nicholson st Fitzroy. Currently the remark occupation=boarder is still ambiguous ...

Had you thought they were property owners?
I would accept the word tenant as an alternative to boarder.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 August 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
I have seen many examples in NSW records over and over particularly in 1850-1950 years where tenant and boarder were interchangeable.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 August 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
Had you thought they were property owners?
I would accept the word tenant as an alternative to boarder.

Main occupants = Property owners OR lessees (who hold the lease of the property)
=> I would not expect a lodger (as had been suggested previously as an option for "boarder" ) to be a lessee.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 August 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
I hope I am not diverting off topic too far, and clearly I cannot comment effectively on research on Victoria

But Victoria was not hived off NSW until 1851, and it took on much of the statute law, regulations and practices of NSW 'for the time being' .... 

So, I mention that I recall  an in depth investigation into the status of some of those named on the Assessment books for the City of Sydney in the 1840s (commencement of the municipality) which will show that some of those who were recorded as paying the rates in respect of the property being assessed were NOT the property owners, NOR the landlords, but simply the 'Boarders'  (of course, property owners did pay rates on some properties, and of course their agents - the landlords did pay rates on certain properties) Boarder being the expression used not on the actual assessment register but on exchange of communications between Council and the individual paying the rates ... it may well be a peculiar meaning of the word applied around that time, perhaps in error or through ignorance of the meaning of the word, but by paying the rates the male person became eligible to be enrolled to vote.

This practice continued until at least the late 1850s (1858 from memory) when male universal suffrage was effectively adopted in NSW elections,  plurality of voting still existed in municipal elections.   

Other NSW local government areas I have found 'Boarders' in the 1880s and 1890s, paying the rates, and usually when I follow up, they were the 'Tenants', handshake contract between them and the property owners.

Sorry for the diversion.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi  mjam, TreeSpirit & Sparratt,

Thanks for your replies to my original message an interesting discussion, into which I do not feel I have enough expeiance to to comment.

TreeSpirit,
The information from the directories are very interesting. I would have expected two unmarried sisters, both dressmakers, would probably live and work together, and this seems to be borne out by the directories. Could you please clarify a few poinrt with regard to the directories as follows:

Is the the 1872 directory the earliest directory of Victoria in existance or is it the earliest directory referring to the Misses Audley and therefore gives an indication as to when they moves from NSW to Victoria?
In the 1872 directory 'e' stand for after 149 Collins Street?
Does EM stand for East Melbourne and F stand for Fitzroy?
Is St Kilda an Area of Melbourne?
What does par stand for in Wellington par north; parish or park?
Living in England I am not familiar with the Suburbs of Melbourne Australia

Regards
Brian