Author Topic: What on earth did he sell?  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What on earth did he sell?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 November 06 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if I really want to join this thread ...

Just to make you all feel ill:
Slopseller: Human urine buyer/seller in the alum trade's 'slopshops'.

... but I can remember as a child staying with my grandmother (late 1940's ?) and hearing her saying, as she went out of the backdoor, 'Just going to empty the slops' ... she was, of course, carrying her night-time potty from under the bed ! 

And I have to say, I believe (never having witnessed it thank goodness !) that my organic gardener son-in-law regularly pee's on the compost heap, to help with decomposition of weeds and waste.

Maybe that's a good place to end this thread ??!!

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Well,Well,Well!
As mentioned earlier,ship,s had slop chest,s,from which clothing of the "just cover me type",could either be issued for mucky job,s,or bought at exorbitant price,s,you need the gear,you buy it!
T'other slop,s used on growing thing,s,never,never wasted in place,s where commercial and now proven,quick fix,fertiliser,s were either not available or too expensive.Commonly known as Gardener,s Gold!!
Rice from China was banned here in Australia,and thousand,s of acre,s given over to Home produce.In the driest Continent ,or one of,not a good decision?
Gardeners Gold is still used here today,and if truth be told anywhere where organic,s rule!
Genetically Modified is the latest no-no,but some organic poison,s are are still available for those that want them.
"Silent Spring" wasn't a comic book,but a sincere warning.
Sorry!My chain was rattled.
        Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline Londoner2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 October 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Slops are ready-made clothes, as compared to bespoke, tailor-made.

The origin seems to be:
"Late 14c., "loose outer garment," probably from Middle Dutch slop, of uncertain origin, corresponding to words in Old Norse and perhaps in Old English. Sense extended generally to "clothing, ready-made clothing" (1660s), usually in plural slops. Hence, also, slop-shop "shop where ready-made clothes are sold" (1723)."
Slop shops were supplied by sweated labour, in homes or small workshops, paid the minimum possible. Though it often means ready-made work clothes, it covers all ready-made clothing.  It was lucrative back then, and it is lucrative now. E.g. Primark, and most of the retail fashion industry, and the work clothes industry.

A modern example of a wealthy slop seller:  Consider the multi-millionaire Richard Caring who in the 1970s was about the first UK fashion company to get manufacturing done in Hong Kong etc., having trained the manufacturers to make his designs to a good standard (see Wikipedia entry for Richard Caring).

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Not sure if I really want to join this thread ...

And I have to say, I believe (never having witnessed it thank goodness !) that my organic gardener son-in-law regularly pee's on the compost heap, to help with decomposition of weeds and waste.

When I grew all my own veggies I did the same. You can buy proprietry compost starters at the garden centre. They start help start of the anorobic action to make good compost. Human urine does the same job and a very good job too and it's free so why not.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)