Author Topic: DEATH: 1874 Elizabeth Agnes SHARP. Parnell - Interment ??  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
DEATH: 1874 Elizabeth Agnes SHARP. Parnell - Interment ??
« on: Tuesday 31 July 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
DEATH: 1874  Elizabeth  Agnes  SHARP.  Parnell - Interment ??

In 1979 I started out on my quest to learn more about the pioneering families that would have associated with my Gt Grandfather as he slowly worked his way up from being a newly married 1842 immigrant, to leasing and then owning land, in greater Auckland and finally arriving in the Waikato, before passing.

Hence my often returning to the areas of Ellerslie/Otahuhu, Waikumiti/Oratia, and Pukekohe East, as Auckland’s heritage is celebrated.

My recent involvement with the Franklan District gathering of bio’s for the first women voters on the 1893 voting roll, has brought to light a gap in my knowledge that I’m so far unable to verify fully. I find that there is newspaper coverage for the above infant, and I have my hand written notes from my November 2nd 1979 visit to the basement of the Birth Deaths and Marriage Registrar, to view the original bound registers of early Auckland. Which go back to the mid 1850’s with the start of civil registrations.

Yet what should have been a simple online confirmation of the historic birth and death registrations, proved not to be. No hits on line.

9884  1874  Elizabeth Agnes Sharp. 2.  Daughter of farmer. Premature birth, imperfect development.  James Doull.  Grand Father.  Sea Field View, Parnell.  Auckland.

The Auckland Star, Daily Southern Cross, NZ Herald, and Waikato Times all record with Birth and Death notices for the child’s arrival, and passing on March 7th 1874.

The Mother, Celilia Brown SHARP, nee Doull, was the teacher, then principal at Pukekohe East school for 21 years.

Not sure why B D & M's do not include the info I witnessed on line, but also would like to know what other researchers have discovered was "normal" practise with still births etc, in the Parnell area in the early 1870's. Can any one find reference to an interment. I don't believe I have noted it on the Pukekohe East interment list, but at this time can not lay my hands on a copy I once had. Photo possibly on a 3 1/2" red disc that I no longer have a computer port for.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: DEATH: 1874 Elizabeth Agnes SHARP. Parnell - Interment ??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
Good morning Alan,

Have you looked in St Stephens for her,it would have been within walking distance.

Alan it pays to keep your posts brief and to the point to make it easier for other folk to follow  ;D ;D

Cheers Janette

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for prompt reply.

But sorry your reply is too brief for me.

Do you have a link to the info provider you refer to ?

Have not found on any cemetery listings that I normally go to, like the Auckland Regional data base. That is why I enquired here.

Did not find anything on Auckland Library either, though I always have trouble finding my way around for historic records, on their multi level site, .

Am enquiring from P/East members if they have any records in that Church cemetery.

Alan.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Sorry I thought you would have St Stephens in you vast database

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/symondsst/sscem.html

Cheers Janette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
I should mention that a lot of the burials on that database are compiled from newspapers of the day by David Verran one of the teamleader in the research room in Auckland library,

Cheers Janette

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 01:47 BST (UK) »
Gee all that "padding" took a while to wade through Alan..... ;D

Does this help?

1874/5188   Sharpe   Elizabeth Agnes   2H

Added: Actual date=7.3.1874

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 01:51 BST (UK) »

Can any one find reference to an interment.

Alan.

The only reference on the burial locator for Elizabeth A Sharpe is for the NZ Death Index, 1874 death registration, with location being Auckland.  Further information to the General Registrar BDM Wellington.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Greetings All.

Thanks for your help. More padding.

A fresh set of eyes, and clear head, was needed and you all provided that.

Minniehaha and KHP, you got me on a rookie mistake. The original family registered death, plus research of some 20 papers past clippings yesterday afternoon, did not throw up one SHARP{E} spelling so I wrongly assumed any record would have been spelt as per family notification. A big mistake.  Thanks, but date of birth was on the press notices, including the example clip supplied.

2 H; How sad, only lived for 2 hours. My late Gt Aunt once stated that the P/East teacher struggled to have a family. She referred to only a Wm and a Jenny surviving. But now I know Cecilia Jane, must have been the surviving daughter’s registered Christian names.

Had I noted an [H] in my original sighting notes I would not have been looking to see if that was a reference to a live female birth [2nd daughter] or even one of a set of twins. The NZ Herald had birth and death notices on both the 9th and 14th. The other three papers one apiece. Must have been a loved teacher, unless some papers reproduced the notices for free.

Janette. Thanks. I needed a new approach, but did not want members wasting their time looking up stuff I already had. Hence my stated objectives.

St Stephens. Did not know if you held Church sextant records, differing from the Auckland City, and Library records, available on line. Like my Oratia and P/East, that I can usually put my hands on.

Thanks for thinking also about David VERRAN. I have personally tapped into David’s extensive knowledge, a number of times in the past.

The couple’s 1869 Marriage, and 1870 birth notice, gave Bowling Green Cottage, Grafton road as their residence, so that to was close to Parnell and St Stephens. Apparently a private cottage, not a Nursing home, as can only find two press references to that name. The Bowling green having only just been established.

Now had confirmation, that the Pukekohe East Church cemetery interment records, do not include  baby Elizabeth.

Through you all have now learned that the reference number on all those original post office and Court registrations, that I have sighted in years past, has no relevance to the number used on historic online records.

My focus has been selected pioneers, so genealogy research is only a by-product. No large collection of reference resources at home. Not a subscriber to commercial www sites.

Any one researched into, and therefore have an idea of what was common practise with still birth and limited life after birth, in Auckland, in 1874 ? Was there consecrated ground that they could inter into for free ??

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 13:38 BST (UK) »