Author Topic: Looking for a soldier in the 8th Hussars  (Read 241 times)

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a soldier in the 8th Hussars
« on: Wednesday 01 August 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm trying to trace a relative, John Kennedy (born 30 Nov 1876 Ballinalack, Westmeath, Ireland) who was listed in the 1901 census as a groom in Dundalk Military Barracks (http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001043838/).
The Regiment listed on that census return said 8th Hussars.
Later, at his son's birth in 1911, his occupation was given as "soldier" in Clonmel, Tipperary (https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1911/01541/1624017.pdf)

I'd like to find out when and where he enlisted, when he resigned/retired, and any other available information.
Many thanks
Gerry
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a soldier in the 8th Hussars
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
There does not appear to be any surviving service record that fits that name and regiment.

However, there is a Great War medal record for 4292 Private John Kennedy of 8th Hussars who was a shoeing smith (Ancestry wrongly put Staff Sergeant for the initials).  The medal record would suggest he survived the war.  He went to France on 11 Nov 1914 having come with them from India.  He left the service in 1919.  He was (presumably) still alive in 1933/34 as his medals were returned and re-issued perhaps because of an engraving error.  There is a three part war diary at the National Archives which is also on Ancestry.

His service number would fit someone who enlisted in 1898/1899.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gerryk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a soldier in the 8th Hussars
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaxD. That may be the man. He died on 20th July 1933, so that could have been the occasion for a family member to return and reissue them, for whatever reason. I'll try and follow those leads.
Gerry
Kane, Cleary, Kennedy, Flynn,