Author Topic: what grandparents ?? help  (Read 792 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
what grandparents ?? help
« on: Wednesday 01 August 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
im helping some one find her biological father , her closest match is 2nd _ 3rd cousin , with 269 centimorgans across 15 segments , A was born 1958 and B born 1994 , what grandparents will they share , I have looked on a graph and I cant figure them out , I have to say B was born in Australia and A born in England , A was adopted I have found her mother who wont tell her who her father was all she will say is he was a salesman , I have built trees for both A and B  and can not find a connection but im no expert forgot to say B only share 2 dna relatives with A which are 4th cousins and no trees and no reply to messages , any help is appreciated , thanks

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: what grandparents ?? help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
Is A the person you are trying to help and B the match that has been made ?

(If so how does 2nd - 3rd cousin jump to 4th cousin?  ???)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
A IS WHO I'M HELPING AND  B is her closest match at 2nd -3rd cousin and when I go to shard matches with B  between A there is only 4rh cousins which are 3 of them and none have trees sorry for capitals its this tablet not me acording to ancestry B is estimated as A 2nd to 3rd cousin

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
OK if I have got your question right then

A and B are 2nd-3rd cousins so that means they share Great Grandparents or Great Great Grandparents in common.

The matches with the forth cousins would be at the level of Great Great Great Grandparents i.e. A, B and the other matches all share a three times Great Grandparent couple in common

This may help

https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks but the DNA painter iv had for a while and don't understand it ,, with them sharing a lot of DNA and a big age difference I thought maybe a closer connection that gr8 poor gr8 gr8 grandparents but as I said I'm no expert

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks but the DNA painter iv had for a while and don't understand it ,, with them sharing a lot of DNA and a big age difference I thought maybe a closer connection that gr8 poor gr8 gr8 grandparents but as I said I'm no expert

It is possible to have big age gaps between cousins so I would not worry about that aspect of it (and 269 is very nearly in the middle of the range (45-515) for second cousins so its looking more likely 2nd rather than 3rd cousins)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
But B grandparents were born in 1932 and A mother born 1932 so a grand parent will be B,s gr8 gr8 grandparents this is what is confusing me how can they share grandparents

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
But B grandparents were born in 1932 and A mother born 1932 so a grand parent will be B,s gr8 gr8 grandparents this is what is confusing me how can they share grandparents

But you have a missing parent somewhere (A?) and so you do not know all the grandparents. Also 2nd - 3rd cousins is just what has been predicted it could be more varied eg. say half 1st cousin once removed (note in this instance they would only share half of the grandparent match, that is whilst B may be a descendant of a particular grandparent couple A may only be a descendant of one of the grandparents not the couple. (In this instance grandparent may also refer to great grandparent if the match is a little futher back)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 August 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
It sounds like the father of adopted English 1958 A may possibly be a first cousin of a grandparent of Aussie 1994 B.  If Ancestry are right in their predictions the MRCA (most recent common ancestor) will turn out to be one of A's great grandparents who also happens to be one of B's great great grandparents.  A and B themselves will be 2nd cousins once removed (once removed means one generation different).

Investigate the brothers of B's 1930's born grandparents.  I would be looking for a man who may have crossed paths with A's mother.  Keep an open mind, the relationship resulting in the birth of A may have been fleeting and with a serviceman.  In the 1950s most UK men had to do National Service and the same may have applied to other countries too.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON