Author Topic: Jane Wood - Horton, Leek  (Read 757 times)

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Wood - Horton, Leek
« on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find the baptism of Jane Wood shown on her marriage in 1803 to be of the parish of Horton, Leek.

On FindMyPast I can find a Jenny Wood born in 1779 in Horton. I can also find a Jane Wood born in Dilhorne, Cheadle in 1778, one in Burslem in 1780 and another in 1782. Finally there is a Jane Wood born in Longnor in 1779. There are no other Jane Woods baptised anywhere near Horton in this period. But four Jane Woods in the wrong place and one Jenny Wood in the right place leave me a problem.

Jane got married by license. I have a sworn oath by her husband Joseph Goodwin in Cheshire. If I go to the Staffordshire Archives am I likely to find anything which might lead me to an oath signed by Jane (which might show a relative)? Presumably if she was marrying by license she had to swear that she was over 21 and therefore "theoretically" could not be born after 1782.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Wood - Horton, Leek
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

The licence says that she was twenty one years and upwards.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Newwriter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget,

I did read that but I must have forgotten. When I went back to a transcript from one of the license records it says her age was 21 which was obviously what stuck in my mind.

I have re-checked FindMyPast and there are no further Jane Woods baptised in Horton in the previous 20 years, just the one Jenny Wood.

Thank you for taking an interest in my post.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the Staffordshire licences but, although there was a Jane Woods, it was to a another person. I think you most probably have the correct baptism.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware only one licence would be granted, per couple, and I believe it was usual for this to be applied for by the groom.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware only one licence would be granted, per couple, and I believe it was usual for this to be applied for by the groom.

That is so. :)