Author Topic: Jumping text  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping text
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
nowhere does it show a pic of a hangmans noose.. :(  which is what I feel I need..

xin  :D :D ;) ;)

thanks for responses will try them all

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
ooo maybe I will try on screen keyboard :)  rrright I am now using onscreen keyboard and it3 seems oops not to be that different why3 did/does it highlight the 33 rreeetthegdyewtwgdu
12131415115q6q7q8q89qasaddfgfhh;lkjhzxcv.b,nn#]=/'[-0pl.,ki98ujmnhu7ybgy76tfvcxzasdfer564321q   the keys seem to work but the mouse is still swimming around the screen. --- I have disabled the mouse   so now juh st using the onscreen keyboard. 

whic ing  work not       h isl try other things.

wil

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
How often do you Defragment the computer?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
well Never :)  is that what is needed... this is supposedly a new reconditioned laptop..   so everything else is fine..

sorry cannot respond properly   its silly.

xin

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Defrag just puts everything where it should be,,,similar to books in a Library in right place, right order.

Often if Windows are badly fragmented Windows can't find something it needs! Like the drive to touchpad for example Hence minor problems!

I defrag once a week....

Try the Troubleshoot I posted to see what that throws up!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark,

will try tomorrow     :)
xin

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 August 18 00:00 BST (UK) »
Defrag just puts everything where it should be,,,similar to books in a Library in right place, right order.

Often if Windows are badly fragmented Windows can't find something it needs! Like the drive to touchpad for example Hence minor problems!

I defrag once a week....

Sorry, but this is not correct. Windows will not lose track of a file should it become fragmented on the disk.

Using your library analogy, a defragmented disk would be similar to having a set of encyclopedias stored on different shelves all over the library - the index still knows exactly where all the volumes are but the librarian has to run around the shelves collecting all the individual volumes. This obviously adds time to the data fetching and can slow the machine although unless it is very defragmented and/or you have a very slow drive installed, it is not noticeable to the majority of users. A library "defrag" would put all the volumes for the same encyclopedia back on the same shelf.

Yes Windows can get corrupt, but this is not a consequence of or solved by a defrag. Switching off a PC/laptop during a defrag can cause problems.

And if your PC/laptop has a solid state drive (SSD) then these should not be defragged at all.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 August 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
I have those problems when I use the inbuilt keyboard. I had never thought of seeing if the touchpad could be disabled although my wrist does brush some of the other keys as well. The answer was to use a separate keyboard which means that I can still touch type rather than watching where my hands are.

Just search  Touchpad    and turn it off
Still easier to use a separate keyboard if you touch type.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 August 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Under Win7, the settings for the touchpad ought to be under "Control Panel", "Mouse". There's a version there in Win10 too, but MS are trying to slowly move things over to the "modern" look.

There may (or may not) be a tab labelled "Device Settings", where you can disable particular hardware.

Some hardware manufacturers also provide extra config options. This HP laptop actually has a touch "button" above the function keys to turn the touchpad on and off.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.