Author Topic: Adoptive person when they marry.  (Read 2736 times)

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
Adoptive person when they marry.
« on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone tell me. If an adopted person marries, would they have to inform this to registrar.
Victoria
COLBECK,WHITEHAVEN CUMBERLAND
COLEBECK,HOPE,MILLER,LIVERPOOL
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
ROCHE,ROACH,MAHER,FOY IRELAND
SANDFORD.TYNAN, LIVERPOOL.
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND
SANDFORD NEWCASTLE/UPON/TYNE.

LANCASTER,GOWLAND,NORTHUMBERLAND
FOY, ROSCOMMON IRELAND,LIVERPOOL.
SMITH,HAMPSHIRE, & LIVERPOOL
SEALES SURREY CRADDOCK,HAMPSHIRE

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Adoptive person when they marry.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
Do you mean would they have to tell the registrar that they were adopted
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
if a birth certificate had to be produced the registrar would know as the certificate would be the adoption one
My son had an annoying (for him) time with the registrar when he married as it was known he was adopted and the registrar asked who his father was - son replied the name on the certificate - registrar asked who is your real father ?  son replied the name on the certificate - very very stressful time for my adopted but very "real" son.
He did complain as it is totally against the rules to ask that kind of question

My other child married abroad and having to deal with an over enthusiastic travel agent - who had obviously never dealt with an adopted person before asked all kinds of questions about birth parents - the answers my child gave were "no idea" - my children know their origins and have no problems with their birth parents - but neither do they want or need to give information about them without their permission. Also of course this information is very confidential and the persons involved had no right to ask such questions

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, a friend of mine has just learned that his father was adopted. So therefore the surname he  has now is the name his father was given. I wondered if he sent off for his parents marriage certificate the fact that his father was adopted would be on marriage certificate.
Victoria
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
No it would not as the father's legal name and legal parents are the names which are on the adoption certificate which does not give any previous names - the adoption certificate is used in place of the original birth certificate

the adoptive parents would not know the birth parents names - unless of course the child was born to someone they knew

Years ago adopted children often did not know as when a birth certificate had to be produced the shortened version was used which just gave name pob dob - as did the shortened version of adoption cert -but now usually a full certificate is required

Suz

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
My husband is adopted - never mentioned it when we got married (I don't remember providing birth certificates either)

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for help excellent information can only hope someone within family can help.
Victoria
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 18 08:25 BST (UK) »
(In E & W) a person marries in the name "they use or are known by" at the time so an adopted person would use their adopted name. There is  no need or requirement to refer to any previous name (which as mentioned, they may not even know).

The father's details entered on any marriage register entry can be a natural, adoptive or step-father.

If a birth certificate was produced as part of the ID checking when giving notice to marry, then adoption would be apparent (it would be a certificate from the ACR), but most people use passports to confirm ID, so there would be no indication. The registrar may not even be aware of the adoption at all (and it isn't relevant).

Most adopted people do mention it when giving notice, largely because they aren't sure of the rules/process themselves and want reassuring.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
Both my children were adopted as babies.  Within the paperwork we were given were their adoption certificates and because it was post-1975 the adoption society was legally bound to provide as much information as they could about their birth parents, including both parents' names, age, colour of eyes and hair, interests and careers and even reasons why the children were given for adoption.  They do have this information, but find it unimportant. (They were not related, by the way.)  After the adoption process had gone through the courts they became our children legally and their long birth certificate was replaced with a so-called short certificate, which has been sufficient for any purposes ever since.  We also have their adoption certificates, on which their birth parents are not named.  They are both married now and were not required to provide information about adoption in any way.  Since we are their legal parents my husband's name was entered on the marriage certificate without anyone considering it be otherwise.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.