Author Topic: Is it my computer or the site I am looking at??  (Read 670 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is it my computer or the site I am looking at??
« on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
What happens:
I find a (usually) multi page military record on FindMyPast.  I read page 1, "turn" the page only to get the little circle arrows whizzing round against a black page that sometimes will not produce the page at all. The various page identifiers are at top and bottom of the screen, just no detailed page.   I try the same record on Ancestry, no problem, pages come up obediently.  Where the record only exists on FindMyPast, I go back to it and next time all is well (sometimes).

Is it my computer or is it FindMyPast and if the latter, is it worth complaining?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Is it my computer or the site I am looking at??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
There was a thread on here about this happening the other day

Sorry I went looking for it
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797511.0
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
It's something that has affected me for years. It doesn't matter which browser I use; I'm on a fast computer and a 40 Mbps link.

My work-around is to click the Download button (bottom right) and Open the image in my preferred photo viewer. This loads and shows me the image in about half a second.

The FindMyPast online viewer is set up to show the image in a progressive fashion. You get a fuzzy approximation and then it ought to fill in the details. It doesn't, often stalling before any image at all. Download uses a different, more reliable, transfer method.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
That is splendid thank you - I'll draw the attention of people on the other thread to your wise words!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia