Author Topic: London school records  (Read 1156 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
London school records
« on: Thursday 02 August 18 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've previously used London school records before and they list dates of birth. I'm looking for Rosetta Lipman, born around 1870 in Aldgate. Her father was Benjamin. If anyone can find a date of birth from these records then it'd be greatly appreciated!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: London school records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
Not all children went to school in that era and even if they did, the records may not be available.  I know my gran went to school (in Manchester) but her records are not amongst the ones on line, although her eldest sister and one of her brothers records are there - so only 2 out of the 6 children who went to school.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
I feared as much. Thanks.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Attendance at school was made compulsory (up to age 10) in the UK in 1880.

https://www.perfar.eu/policies/elementary-education-act-1880
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, one of my ancestors came afoul of that law that year! John Dobson was in court accused of not sending his children to school.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've previously used London school records before and they list dates of birth. I'm looking for Rosetta Lipman, born around 1870 in Aldgate. Her father was Benjamin.

A number of her siblings are listed London, England, School Admissions and Discharges, 1840-1911, father Benjamin but can't see an entry for Rosetta

When did she die?  If after 1939 look on the 1939 Register for her dob

Did she marry?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
I’m not entirely sure what became of her. I know she was born in 1870 but other than that I know very little :(

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
1881 Census RG11/485/F141/p50
12 Foresters Street, Mile End Old Town
Benjamin Lipman 35 Aldgate Gen Dealer
Mary 31 wife St Lukes
Rosetta  dau 11 Aldgate
Mary dau 9 Whitechapel
Mos son 7 Finsbury
Sarah dau 5 Finsbury
Davis son 2 Mile End Old Town
Henry son 0 Mile End Old Town

I've checked the GRO site and all the children have mmn Sands

Rosetta Lipman Jun 1870 London City 1c p4 mmn Sands

It would appear that the parents didn't marry until 1873 as the only marriage I can find for a Benjamin Lipman is

Benjamin Lipman/Mary Ann Sands Mar 1873 Mile End 1c 873

Emeltom

Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
That's correct. I have the record. They had one other daughter before the marriage, Mary Ann, born on the 23rd of December 1871.