Author Topic: Dating of a photograph taken in Québec (Canada) - possible Bergeron family  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Ancestrologie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me find a possible date for this photograph? I received new informations lately on who it might be and I would like to know if this could be them.

I am thinking this might be my great great grandparents with their 4 eldest children. There is only one other known image of them and it is a drawing so it's kinda hard to compare. A drawing doesn't reflect the exact reality.

I am thinking : Philippe Bergeron (1863-1908) and wife Olivine Marier (1866-1911). The four eldest children :
1. Horace born January 1st 1895
2. Alice born January 17th 1897. Alice have a crooked neck and it seems to me that the little girl's neck sitting at the front does seem odd.
3. Frédeline born December 2nd 1897
4. Marie-Rose born April 7th 1899

The fifth kid was born June 8th 1900. Could the mother on this photograph be pregnant? If so that would put the photograph in 1900 (only guessing here), the children being 5, 3, 2 and 1...

Is the little girl older than her brother? In that case, that would change everything.

It appears to be a cardbord (?). There is nothing on the back.

Thank you all!

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Dating of a photograph taken in Québec (Canada) - possible Bergeron family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
The 1st. is Edwardian probably 1900-05.
The 2nd. is an over-sketched enlargement of a photograph c. 1880's.
There are similarities between the 2 women but the men look completely different.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Just for something to do I did a quick restore and focus on the family photo and a basic cleaning of the other. Hope you enjoy!
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
I think it is highly likely that they are the same couple.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
I'd have to go with Jim on this one: while the women are quite similar - given 10-15 years and a tribe of kids! - I don't think it is the same man.

Some differences that I think I can see:
1. The bearded man (a) has a longer head than the other man (b), with a longer, flatter nose.
2. He (a) also has ears that stick out less than (b)'s. Note that although (b) is looking straight ahead you can see as much of his right ear as you can of (a)'s - and (a)'s head is in part-profile.
3. (b) has a broader forehead. Note how close (a)'s hair grows to his eyebrow, and then look at the same spot on (b).

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Whilst you make several valid points Peter, it has to be remembered that the second photo is an over sketched enlargement and some facial detail will have been drawn in. It is also a close up shot making his features appear bigger also the angle of the photos will alter the perspective, given the time difference, the guy on the first photos hairline could be due to age related hair loss which in turn would make his forehead wider. The second guy is also looking up rather that at the camera so his eyes are more open. Just my take on the subject.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
second photo of the man looks like the bridge of his nose is flattened...
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />