Author Topic: Useable Space COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Useable Space
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 August 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
4GB RAM sorry Ray all I noted was the usable 3.78GB

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 August 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 August 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I suspect that what they have done is to build a basic install on a , say, 60gb drive and copy that to whatever drive(s) are sitting spare.     

Plug it in, change win code, off you go.     

If they used a , say, 300 gb drive, you can allocate and install the unused space as driive E: ( after reallloc CD as drive F/G/H) and change the spare space on hdd as E:, etc., etc., etc..R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 August 18 21:56 BST (UK) »
AndrewAlston
Wanna buy a drawer-full of old HDD/MemChips/CDDrives?     

;D     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ray - it's packed ready for collection the screen was damaged.

R

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
AndrewAlston
Wanna buy a drawer-full of old HDD/MemChips/CDDrives?     

;D     

Ray
Already got one, thanks.

Gave a load of old chargers to my local repair place rather than see them head to landfill. Sold a load of old memory on eBay. I advertised as "pay one lot of postage no matter how many items you buy". One buyer got a proper deal - it cost me more in postage than I received, but "a deal's a deal".

I'm still averse to chucking things away, even though I'll never use them. In my wall I have an IBM PC Mk1a motherboard. 64KB of RAM soldered in. The Mk1 had only 16KB soldered.

Some of us are even old enough to remember BEFORE there were PCs. (cue 4 Yorkshiremen)  ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Useable Space COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
AndrewAlston

Your profile details an age for you.     

If correct, there are a number of (ex-pro and qualified) "Techies" a lot older than thee on this site.

Still got my IBMPCjr with added hdd.     
Still got my Digico Prince 2x8inch floppy m/c

Regards, and respect . . . . .
Ray

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Some of us are even old enough to remember BEFORE there were PCs. (cue 4 Yorkshiremen)  ;D

Cue memories of DOS, GEM and CP/M ;D ;D

With more house moves than I care to count, I have nothing left of older computer tech.
Still remember when working on an ICL 1901T, the EDS8's (8kb disc storage) were replaced by EDS100's (100kb). Quote "We'll never fill one of those." ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 August 18 23:23 BST (UK) »
Still remember when working on an ICL 1901T, the EDS8's (8kb disc storage) were replaced by EDS100's (100kb). Quote "We'll never fill one of those." ;D
My first actual job involved a 1901T, with 3 x EDS60 drives and 24 kilowords of RAM. There was physically 32Kwords, but they wouldn't pay for the extra. ;D We used to run 3 batch streams most of the time, though EXEC could keep track of 64 tasks if there was enough memory to hold them in.

The real techies in 1900 kit knew the significance of a magic number - 7036875.

The "official" method of converting binary to decimal consisted of dividing the integer by a power of 10 - if you wanted a 4-digit number, divide by 10000 - then using the CBD instruction to give each digit in turn.

The largest positive integer in a 24-bit word is 8388607.  So, to print that, you need to divide by 10000000. Problem! you need double length arithmetic, and that's HARD.
Some clever soul worked out that if you multiply an integer by 7036875 (usually defined as a constant called AMAGIC) you end up with the same bit pattern as if you had divided by 10000000. No double-length sums, and as a bonus, multiplications are faster than divisions. So if you want a 4-digit number, it is quicker to multiply by AMAGIC and throw away the first 3 digits!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.