Author Topic: 1930 USA Census Help  (Read 728 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
1930 USA Census Help
« on: Thursday 02 August 18 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi..trying to find this lady in the 1930 USA Census and drawing a blank. Living on Marguerite Ave, Hempstead with son Charles Rogers born 1900. May have them in 1940. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you

Name:    Kate M Rogers
Birth Date:    abt 1884
Birth Place:    Ireland
Residence Place:    Hempstead, Nassau
Relationship:    Head
Colour or Race:    White
Number of Years in US:    25
Assembly District:    01
Line Number:    06
Page Number:    14
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 USA Census Help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Is it correct that she was 16 when son Charles was born?

You don't say whether she was married or single and no info given whether Charles was born Ireland or USA
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
FS 1930 census has a Chatherine Rogers 46 b Ireland as an in-patient
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 18 06:51 BST (UK) »
That one is in Poughkeepsie, Duchess County  NY and she is still in the same County 1940

The census referred by anniedwyer84 is the 1925 census, New York.

Kate M Rogers states she is a citizen by marriage.

Is this her death  20 June 1954 age 70 as Katie Rogers, Hempstead New York. cert #37023.

1940 census Hempstead. Louis Avenue

Charles 39 says he was born Philadelphia PA and says 1930 he was in PA.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Is this part of this thread/post?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=795728.msg6527516#msg6527516

What I'm seeing.

The 1915 census mentioned-

The Charles is listed as stepson. Assuming he is only listed with last name "Salmon" but that is not his birth surname name.

Name:    William A Salmon
Birth Year:    abt 1889
Name    Age
William A Salmon    26
Cathurn Salmon    32 (b.1883)
Charles Salmon    13 (stepson) (b.1902)

===================

The 1925 census. The son Charles has middle initial "G". Did Catherine go back to her previous married named and Charles his birth surname?

Name:    Kate M Rogers
Birth Date:    abt 1884
Name    Age
Kate M Rogers    41
Charles G Rogers 25 (b.1901)

=======================

Here is a WWI Draft registration for a Charles Grant Rogers. Did the "G" in the above 1925 census stand for "Grant"? He was born 10 June 1900. The 10 June date would put him after the the censuses were taken giving an indication he was born in 1901.

The nearest relative listed is a "Kate Salmon" of the same address. They are living in Summerville, Monroe, NY. Summerville is a Rochester neighbourhood.

WWI Draft: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KXTB-K4K

Lots of coincidences ...???

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:43 BST (UK) »
My Kate was born Catherine Grant in 1879 in Ireland, and had her son Charles June 10th 1900 in Philadelphia. On the baptism I found for him, he is known as Charles Swank Grant, and father being Charles Swank. He's sent to Ireland in 1906, and she marries William A. Salmon in Philadelphia in 1909. She goes to Ireland in 1911 to bring Charles back to America and on the immigration record, he's down as Charles Salmon. Have them on the 1915 NY State Census in Hempstead.

The 1930 information given by CaroleW most likely isn't her, as it states she's single.

I had a death cert e-mailed to me earlier from someone who went to an FHC for me, and found a cert in 1943, which gives her father's name as Patrick Grant..which my Kate's father was named. Informant was son, Charles G Rogers
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 August 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
and she marries William A. Salmon in Philadelphia in 1909

So are you saying she wasn't using her married name in 1930?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 18 23:47 BST (UK) »
if you know where they were living in 1930 but can't find them on the census, you can try to find the census page. Start at  stevemorse.org and look for his Unified 1880-1950 Census ED Finder. It takes a few minutes to figure out how to make it work, but it does. Open a tab for Google Maps so you can see the cross streets. If you have an exact address and enough cross streets, you can usually narrow it down to only having to browse through one Enumeration District (ED).

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
if you know where they were living in 1930 but can't find them on the census, you can try to find the census page. Start at  stevemorse.org and look for his Unified 1880-1950 Census ED Finder. It takes a few minutes to figure out how to make it work, but it does. Open a tab for Google Maps so you can see the cross streets. If you have an exact address and enough cross streets, you can usually narrow it down to only having to browse through one Enumeration District (ED).
I take this back. 1930 doesn't work very well as far as I can see. If you know 1930 and are looking for 1940, then it works well.