Author Topic: Delia, Bessie and Maria Rafferty  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Delia, Bessie and Maria Rafferty
« on: Friday 03 August 18 02:05 BST (UK) »
I have found a photo in my great aunts possessions, And it shows 3 young girls with my great aunt Mary Rafferty and 2 of her McLean cousins(Mary's mother is Rose McLean)

My great aunt was born in the 1910's and lived in kilcoo, Co down.

I don't who the girls in the photo are, and the only clue is the names and that they are from glasgow

Would really appreciate any help
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Delia, Bessie and Maria Rafferty
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
The photo names the 3 young girls in the front, L to R as:
Betty, Marie and Delia.

In trying to date the photo:

Marie, the youngest girl looks about 4? Maybe she at least was born in Glasgow area?
Scotland's People:  There are two births in Lanarkshire:
1) Marie RAFFERTY  1936, College
2) Susan Marie RAFFERTY, 1942, Lanark

Great-Aunt Mary RAFFERTY (top row, arms around Delia) was born in 1916 Ballymoney, Kilkeel as follows, registered in Kilkeel, Co. Down:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/

Mary Elizabeth RAFFERTY, b 14 May 1916, Ballymoney
Father: John RAFFERTY, Mason, of Ballymoney
Mother: Rose RAFFERTY, formerly MC LEAN
Informant: Mary RAFFERTY (her X mark) present at Birth, of -----------.

She had a brother Michael RAFFERTY (mms Mc CLEAN) born 1914.
She had a brother Patrick Joseph RAFFERTY (mms MC CLEAN) b 1912

If little Marie who looks about 4, was born 1936 - the photo dates to about 1940?
And Mary Elizabeth Rafferty born 1916, would be about 23/24  in 1940. Seems to fit?

If little Marie who looks about 4, was born 1942- the photo dates to about 1946?
And Mary Elizabeth Rafferty born 1916, would be about 30 in the photo. She looks younger than 30?

Did Great-Aunt Mary RAFFERTY marry?  If she did, this photo predates the marriage.

Do you you know when the middle cousin Mary Catherine McLEAN was born and her mother's maiden name? Aside from reminding me of Wallis Simpson……she looks the elder of the women? Maybe in her 40's? Was she married?  Again, just trying to date the photo.

Another thing, do you know when Granny McLEAN died, as it infers she was alive when the photo was taken?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I Had started looking into the McLean, as yet I am not sure what branch they are or their ages.

There are about 6 families of McLeans all living on the same street!

I am assuming they are cousins of Mary Rafferty, but not sure yet that they are definitely 1st cousins.

Granny McLean, referred to died in 1933 (Elizabeth McLean, née McManus)

My great aunt Mary Rafferty did marry but not until she was around 40, so unfortunately that doesn't help.

I have heard that Delia can be used as a given name In Ireland for someone actually called Bridget - but not sure on this one.

I had thought that Mary only looked about 16, but I am terrible with ages!
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
I have attached another photo of Delia in case it helps date this!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Little Marie has a look of Shirley Temple about her :D   

Of course her name could be Mary  - my granny's cousin born circa 1910 was a Mary on her birth certificate but called Marie to differentiate her from the many other Marys in the family  ::)

So just to clarify - Granny McClean's? Was that in Glasgow? If so do you know what area? Or is this photo taken in Ireland ?
Looby :)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
The 1st photo is taken in Ireland, Granny McLean is in Tullyree, kilcoo, Co down.

I assume Delia's communion photo is taken in Glasgow and posted over or brought over when the family were visiting it not sure

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cwellan ,

Like Ambly said I would wonder if the photo was taken when Granny was still alive - or why would "at Granny McClean's " be written ?? Did other family members live on at Granny's after her death in 1933?

To be honest I would date the photo to the mid 1930s....maybe around 1935/36 , so that would make your great aunt Mary about 18 or 19.

Looby :)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
This is Mary Raffertys aunts and uncles in 1911

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Fofanny/Fofannyreagh/243020/

I have the details on all the 9 living children, and I think if any of these are the fathers of the girls it would have to be William or Thomas

I have a potential wedding between William and Mary Ann McEvoy on the 22nd June 1927

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
Looby, yes some the family lived at "Granny" McCleans until about 1980, so it could have still been called that after her death.
Thanks for your help