Author Topic: Annie Millie Carter b. c1854 England , married 1875 Australia.  (Read 2573 times)

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
Re: This Word?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hard to grasp that first letter.

It's a middle initial  "L" then a B, D, N or an R?

However, we can grasp that first letter by knowing what the word is that is listed as the "USUAL PLACE OF RESIDENCE" on the card. As you can see from my sample here, once you pull the  middle initial off that character,  the first letter is exactly the same. Also the next is may be a lower case E or R as the writer seems to emphatically dot all  their I's well after the actual letter I, but I see no dot.

My guess would be "Binne" or "Benne", but knowing the UPoR word would help solving this. I'm guessing "Braidwood"

My two cents.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:12 BST (UK) »
Yes,  Braidwood.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:14 BST (UK) »
Also, I am sure the document is recording that Francis KING's wife was Elizabeth nee WHYBROW

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:20 BST (UK) »
 :)  I am confident that  :) What you are reading as a middle initial as L is in fact the clergy’s poor attempt at an opening bracket, ie he has used brackets to record the maiden name for each mother of the couple being married.  So he used a Square bracket to open, and a Round bracket to close….  Dreadful handwriting and poor practice too.

JM

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:24 BST (UK) »
I'd probably go with Benne then based on a surname search.

https://forebears.io/surnames/Benne
My two cents.

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:27 BST (UK) »
:)  I am confident that  :) What you are reading as a middle initial as L is in fact the clergy’s poor attempt at an opening bracket, ie he has used brackets to record the maiden name for each mother of the couple being married.  So he used a Square bracket to open, and a Round bracket to close….  Dreadful handwriting and poor practice too.

JM

Odd to round one but not the other, but either way it was irrelevant to deciphering the name. I found removing it very helpful to getting a grasp of the handwriting.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:28 BST (UK) »
I am thinking about what other documents would record the maiden name of the mother of the bride... 
 :) if Sarah died in NSW, then the names of her parents are recorded on her death cert, provided of course that the informant knew the info
 :) if Horatio and Millie followed a naming pattern, perhaps Sarah's nee name appears there as a middle name for one or more of their children.
 :) If Millie died in NSW, then the names of her parents are recorded on her death cert ... informant driven information of course
 :) The original parish register ... if C of E, there is likely to have been at least two registers concurrently recording the marriage.   Is the other register extant?  It ought to be.    If C of E, then the image attached may be checked against the current Anglican Images that Ancestry dot com dot au has uploaded.  I am not sure which registers from the diocese of Sydney have been digitised, but many are there at Ancestry at present.   

:) Fingers crossed we will figure this scribble out for our new RChatter.  :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:31 BST (UK) »

Hard to grasp that first letter.

It's a middle initial  "L" then a B, D, N or an R?

However, we can grasp that first letter by knowing what the word is that is listed as the "USUAL PLACE OF RESIDENCE" on the card. As you can see from my sample here, once you pull the  middle initial off that character,  the first letter is exactly the same. Also the next is may be a lower case E or R as the writer seems to emphatically dot all  their I's well after the actual letter I, but I see no dot.

My guess would be "Binne" or "Benne", but knowing the UPoR word would help solving this. I'm guessing "Braidwood"

My two cents.

JM

Odd to round one but not the other, but either way it was irrelevant to deciphering the name. I found removing it very helpful to getting a grasp of the handwriting.

I agree, ignoring the square bracket is important when looking at Sarah's maiden name.    :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 August 18 02:39 BST (UK) »
Elsewhere on that marriage cert, there should be the following info about the bride and her parentage..

a) her (then) age
b) her occupation
c) her father's occupation
d) her place of birth
e) her full name

We have her parents as Henry and Sarah CARTER. 

The NSW BDM website gives information about official transcription agents.   You may well find that they are well experienced with that particular clergyman's scribble, and may be able to give an excellent interpretation on Sarah's nee name.

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

JM