Author Topic: 1915 photo. What is he wearing?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 1915 photo. What is he wearing?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 August 18 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you MaecW. I seem to generate hostility wherever I go. At a dinner for 8 a few years ago, a diner, former director of a public company and a former colonel looked across at me and called me a trouble maker. I couldn't receive a higher compliment. I'm the sort of person who if aware of Saville and his ilk would shout it from the rooftops. It's called civic courage, little or none of it in the BBC or NHS.

Last night on Radio4, latest of a series of 'Tommies'. Based on the War Diaries, 1915, an officer of Royal Engineers (Signals) aged 61!!!   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, Gregorian,
I don't like to see people upset through simple misunderstanding: sometimes a little explanation is all that is needed.
Anyway, this has nothing to do with the OP, so I'll respond more on a PM.
Cheers,
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 August 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
You missed this comment MaecW:

There were no doubt many officers and men who wangled their way to stay at the front beyond 41 in both Wars.

Explain please ???

I've read accounts, there's no need to explain anything to you.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 August 18 16:10 BST (UK) »

Captain Frederick Courteney Selous, 25th Battalion Royal Fusiliers
Born
31 December 1851
London, England
Killed
January 4, 1917 (aged 65)
Behobeho, German East Africa

My grandfather was a Private in his unit. Sadly I never knew this when my grandfather was alive or I would have asked him if he was with Selous when he was killed.

Offline Grandies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 August 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Wow! 65 and still serving. So definitely a possibility that John was active in WW1.
I am interested in the location East Africa, as my gr grandfather talked to my father while he was a lad about his time in Africa (hence the fez ), sadly no more details.

Another detail, probably not relevant is that I have not been able to find him in the 1911 census. The family is split up and the wife’s record shows her as parted, struck through. They did reunite as the photo shows him with wife and 7 children in 1914/15.
Tait, Scullion, Taaffe