Author Topic: John Norris & Elizabeth Cottrell both born 1759 in Berkshire  (Read 1861 times)

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Norris & Elizabeth Cottrell both born 1759 in Berkshire
« on: Saturday 04 August 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on John Norris and Elizabeth Cottrell married 19 May 1782 in East Hampstead. The only birth dates I have for either of them is 1759. They have children but I cannot yet verify how many. I know they have a son Timothy Norris Christened 1 Aug 1790 in Southgate Chapel Berkshire. I am looking for verification on children. I have : Mary Ann 1784, John 1786, James( 1787, 1789 or 1801)Elizabeth Charlotte1789, Thomas 1789, Berrick/Berwick 1791, Sarah 1793, Eliza Sophia 1795, William 1798, Joseph 1804. I know that I am asking a lot but I just can't find the info so easily. I feel like I'm pulling teeth and the other trees that share my family members on Ancestry.com have even less info than I do. I am doing this for my FIL's Father's day/Christmas gift. Any help is gladly accepted and tips on 'how to' will be welcomed.

Julie

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Norris & Elizabeth Cottrell both born 1759 in Berkshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,

Where did you get the name Elizabeth Cottrell  from?

The BerksFHS Marriage CD has the marriage of John Norris, of Wingfield, to a Susannah Cottrill 19-5-1782.
If you feel this is wrong, you could contact the BerksFHS or the Berks RO for confirmation from the original register held inthe Berks RO.

The trees I've just looked at on Ancy seem a little confused with Elizabeth coming from the USA, with some children being born/bapt. in Shoreditch, Middx, Sunninghill, Berks and Hampshire. Which of course may be correct if the parents moved around a lot.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
England, select marriages, 1538-1973 has the bride as Elizabeth Cottrell but no image. 

The baptism for Timothy is under London baptisms - Enfield Weld Chapel Southgate so is this different to your one at Southgate Chapel Berkshire?

Same date 1 August 1790 parents John and Elizabeth Norris.

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Alan~I was given the name Elizabeth Cottrell from someone in a chat room from this site, the last time I was working on John Norris a few months ago. I thought the name was correct, but it could be wrong as I have no way to verify except that FamilySearch.com and Ancestry.com have her listed as Elizabeth. He may very well have had a first wife.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 August 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Berks FHS have Susannah and fs has Elizabeth otherwise all other details are the same. I cannot find any children to a John and Susannah but I have found Berwick on fs baptised to John and Elizabeth in Sunninghill 20 March 1791.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 06:19 BST (UK) »
Thank You Emeltom. I really do appreciate the help. Are there any websites that I can try besides the typical google and Geni lookup?

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 August 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
I am still stuck on John Norris and Elizabeth Cottrell. Cannot find any information about where John Norris was born but have a hint of Berkshire for Elizabeth Cottrell. I am assuming in that time period people did not move around very much and they would have stayed close to where they were born. I know all but one of their children were born in Sunninghill, Berkshire between 1784 and 1804. My FIL's Norris family has been a big pain to find information on because some of the family moved to the united states after 1850. I have no problem finding information about them, it's the family that is in England that I am having so much trouble with. Nothing on DustyDocs or DeadFred, Ancestry only has 1 tree that matches and their tree stops at John Norris and Elizabeth Cottrell also. I am not even sure if he died in 1805 as the other tree suggests. Any help or suggestions is welcomed. I am stumped.

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 August 18 11:21 BST (UK) »
Have you considered these?:

BAPTISM:
Elizabeth Cottrell bp 25 Feb 1759 Easthampstead, Berkshire, dau of William & Jean Cottrell

Jean could have been Jane/Jeane as there are other baptisms for children of a William and Jane Norris

and this marriage:
William Cotterel m Jeane Boulter 2 Oct 1745 Easthampstead, Berkshire

BAPTISM:
John Norris    13 May 1757 Wokingham, Berkshire parents John & Mary Norris

Wokingham is approximately 5 miles from Easthampstead

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 18 03:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Candrjm. I was thinking that he(John Norris) had to have been born close to Easthampstead as I thought that they wouldn't be traveling outside their immediate area except if there was work somewhere else and almost all the men in my FIL's family were builders or carpenters.