Author Topic: Mac an Bheatha  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mac an Bheatha
« on: Saturday 04 August 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
My DNA Haplogroup is I-M223 I-M284 I-L126 I-S7753 longhand I2a2a1a1a1a
My surname is Bay my DNA matches those with surname Mcvey and some Mcleans. I have read that Bay is a reduced form of Macbeth. I need help confirming the name Macbeth may have been reduced to MacBay and to Bay possibly.
I've ready that Macbeth is reduced form of Macbeatha or Macbeath of Mac an Bheatha(d). My dna has been archealogically discovered in bronze age area of Argyll amd Bute and one off the isle of Lewis bronze age as well. Could this confirm family ties or direct connection to my Bay name and the Macbeth name? My DNA is nicknamed SCOT-ISLES AND IRISH-ISLES if that may help. Thanks for any help whatsoever.
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Mac an Bheatha
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 August 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with the surname MacBeth in any variant.

I have always thought the (Scottish) word 'Bheatha' was Whisky as in 'Uisge Bheatha' meaning water of life although I may be wrong on that?

'Mac' means 'son of'

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
The spelling McBay is particularly common in the former county of Kincardineshire, between Angus and Aberdeenshire (it's now included in Aberdeenshire). If you check out the name on Scotlandspeople from about 1700 onwards, looking at Births - as I've just done - the majority are in the parish of Benholm, with others in Marykirk, Dunnottar and Bervie, all in Kincardineshire, with a fair amount also in Angus parishes like Craig, Montrose and Brechin. It's looks as if your name is an abbreviated version of McBay.
It's common for originally Gaelic names to have lots of different spellings in Lowland Scotland, where they wrote it down the way it sounded to them. McBeth/Macbeth is unusual in that it actually started off as a Christian or given name, "son of life" apparently referring to a man of religion.
I had McBeth ancestors in west Fife.
Harry

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Insightful info thank you. So if my DNA points to Western Scotland specifically Isles Scot and Isles Irish would that seem to match up with links to the McBeth family? The only ancient DNA of mine has been discovered is in these areas but dated Bronze Age
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
My dna is downstream of I-L126. y4171; S7754 dated to a common ancestor less than 1000 years ago. I've found the Bay name throughout Berkshire, Lincolnshire, Reading and Kent. My oldest known ancestor left london age 16 in 1635 to the colony of virginia. His name was John Bay. If that helps my macbeth mystery
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
It's hard to believe that the Bay surname in England is related to McBay or McBeth in Scotland. Also, Y DNA I is commoner in England, I believe. Most Scots are R1b.

Harry

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 August 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
My DNA is said to be indigenous to the isles and seem to be linked to men with gaelic surnames
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland says that MacBeth is a personal name, not a patronymic. In Old Gaelic it was spelled Macc bethad, and means 'son of life', 'a religious person', 'man of religion' or 'one of the elect'. In Modern Gaelic the name would be spelled MacBeatha. He gives variants including MacBeath and MacBeith.

He also says that MacBay is Gaelic MacBeatha. Variants include MacBey and MacVey.

Bay is not listed as a surname.

'Beatha' is Gaelic for 'life'; 'Mac' means 'son of'; 'uisge' means 'water'. So MacBeth's name does include one element of the phrase 'uisge beatha' meaning 'water of life' that was anglicised as 'whisky'.

I know nothing about DNA haplogroups, but if the only DNA that matches yours is of Bronze Age origin, you are obviously never going to be able to match it to any documented family.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.