Author Topic: Mac an Bheatha  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mac an Bheatha
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 August 18 02:42 BST (UK) »
Could Bay be the result of dropping a prefix of mc or Mac or 'o? My dna was discoverd earliest in bronze age. My dna is close to Mcvey dna project Mcbay and McLean
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 August 18 02:53 BST (UK) »
I know nothing about DNA either but I would have to agree with Forfarian on this...

"I know nothing about DNA haplogroups, but if the only DNA that matches yours is of Bronze Age origin, you are obviously never going to be able to match it to any documented family"

How far back have you reached with paper trails, do any reach Scotland or UK & if so can you tell us who/when/where?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 August 18 03:59 BST (UK) »
 My oldest known ancestor left Gravesend London age 16 in 1635 to the colony of virginia. His name was John Bay. Found a headright claim on this John Bay by William Ayres in 1642 in maryland or virginia. alot of passengers to the colonies took an oath of allegiance before leaving England. John Bay age 16 didn't take the oath which makes me believe he was a "NON-CONFORMIST" I don't know about any family members besides him in the British isles.
I hoped that knowing my dna originated in western scotland might help trace my genealogy in the UK.
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 August 18 04:00 BST (UK) »
"The headright system was originally created in 1618 in Jamestown, Virginia. It was used as a way to attract new settlers to the region and address the labor shortage. With the emergence of tobacco farming, a large supply of workers was needed. New settlers who paid their way to Virginia received 50 acres of land."

Do you have names for the children (in order) of your ancestor John which may point to a Scottish connection as he may have ditched the Mc/Mac for some reason?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 August 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
"The headright system was originally created in 1618 in Jamestown, Virginia. It was used as a way to attract new settlers to the region and address the labor shortage. With the emergence of tobacco farming, a large supply of workers was needed. New settlers who paid their way to Virginia received 50 acres of land."

Do you have names for the children (in order) of your ancestor John which may point to a Scottish connection as he may have ditched the Mc/Mac for some reason?

Annie
Hi thanks for the reply and the good information. Yes I John Bay (circa1619-c.1683 had son:
John Bay 1650-17??
Had son:
Thomas Bay 1700(6) -1746
Had son:
Captain Thomas Bay Sr. 1741-1826
Had son:
William Bay 1778-1863
Had son
James H Bay 1820-1847
Had son:
James E Bay 1846-1925
Had son
 James Culburn Bay 1871-1931
Had son
Donald Dean Bay 1929-1994
Had son
Robert N Bay 1964-

BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 August 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
After doing some research it may be possible that John Bay who left london 1635 could have been the son of John Bye IV of Basingstoke and Prudence (Humphrey) Bay. John Bye died circa 1625 but records are said to be incomplete, so there's was no records requarding any children of John and Prudence. Only a record that they were married 1610
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 August 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
"John Bay (circa1619-c.1683 had son:
John Bay 1650-17??
Had son:
Thomas Bay 1700(6) -1746"

Not sure what (6) relates to, was he 6th child born or born c1700-1706?

Do you have any other children (siblings) of Thomas '1700(6)'?

Annie

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 August 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
"John Bay (circa1619-c.1683 had son:
John Bay 1650-17??
Had son:
Thomas Bay 1700(6) -1746"

Not sure what (6) relates to, was he 6th child born or born c1700-1706?

Do you have any other children (siblings) of Thomas '1700(6)'?

Annie
Hi, thank you VERY for your help by the way!
The (6) that I put next to 1700 was because I'm not sure of year he was born I've noted 1706 and 1700. I suppose It would have been more correct to put 'circa 1700'.

Tommy L West did extensive research on the Bay families in colonial America, and published his book "Some Member of The 18th Century Colonial American Bay Family". Connecting the "separate Bay families" could only be based on speculation at the time he published his book.
Until I did a Y-DNA test last year. Which proved to me that my oldest known direct descendant:
CPT. Thomas Bay c.1741-1826
was son of Thomas Bay living 1745 in Orange County, Virginia (in what became Frederick and Shenandoah co. VA). My dna test as well as a cousin of mine, who's direct male descendant is Cpt Thomas Bay matched a dna test of a descendant of David Bay 1755-1825 Ohio. David is son of Hugh Bay 1727-1773.

In 1745 Thomas, Hugh, and William Bay were added to the tithables list of Frederick Co. For the year. That solved the mystery as to who Cpt Thomas Bays brothers were.

As for children of Thomas Bay born possibly c. 1700 are as follows:
Hugh Bay 1727-1773
William Bay 1729-1769
Robert Bay baptized May 3rd 1741
Cpt Thomas Bay 1741-1826

Also regaurding John Bay born c 1619. I found he and 140 others left 10 August 1635 from Gravesend, London to be embarked to Virginia on the ship Safety. The landed in Norfolk Co Virginia. A William Eyres paid for his passage. I believe about 1650 Johm Bay is mentioned again as a land owner in Baltimore, Maryland.
BAY; Bayes;Bays

Offline Bay89

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 August 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Here is a more accurate rundown of the decendants of John Bay born circa 1619.
John Bay born 1619 uk-??
Had son

John Bay circa 1650s-1700
  • ownes land North and South side of Potapscoe Hundreds Baltimore,Maryland
  • wife Ruth Bays
Had son

John Bay Jr. circa 1682-1739+
  • land owner Baltimore, Maryland North side Potapscoe
  • wife Elizabeth
Assigned sons: (* my paternal ancestor)
John Bay Jr. 1701-1742+
*Thomas Bay 1703-1746
Frances Bay 1713-1749+

*Thomas Bay moved from Baltimore, Md to Virginia at some point, but through records seemed to stay in touch with Baltimore resident George Egger,obvious friends of the family.
Had sons

Hugh Bay 1727-1773
William Bay 1729-1769
Robert Bay bap. 1741
*Thomas Bay (cpt.) 1741-1826 (wife Elizabeth Blackburn)
BAY; Bayes;Bays