Author Topic: Looking for FERNANDO OLIVER form Pretoria ~1985 ish  (Read 952 times)

Offline theSearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for FERNANDO OLIVER form Pretoria ~1985 ish
« on: Sunday 05 August 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find information on my birth mother but I'm not having much luck. I don't live in South Africa which makes things hard and the adoption agency has given all the information they have which doesn't amount to much. I'm just looking for some direction on where I can get help with this.

The information I do know:
- I was born in 1985 in Pretoria South Africa
- My birth mothers name was "Fernando Oliver" (not 100% on spelling)
- She was Portuguese or Portuguese descent
- She was a student of architecture at the time (I assume at Pretoria University)
- She has since passed away

Any help on where I could / should go for more information would be much appreciated

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for FERNANDO OLIVER form Pretoria ~1985 ish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 18 04:07 BST (UK) »
She should have obtained a Birth Certificate for you. South African records are very good if someone instigates them. She was probably from Angola or Mozambique heritage. After 1975 many emigrated from those two counties to South Africa.

Offline theSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 18 04:20 BST (UK) »
She should have obtained a Birth Certificate for you. South African records are very good if someone instigates them. She was probably from Angola or Mozambique heritage. After 1975 many emigrated from those two counties to South Africa.

Wow, thanks for this! This is really interesting. I don't live in SA and I didn't grow up there either so these are the kinds of pieces of information that I don't pick up on that easily. I really appreciate this.

Should I be searching Angola & Mozambique records for her birth information?

Also what's peoples take on the name? Could it be 'Fernanda' instead of 'Fernando'? Also 'Olivier' instead of 'Oliver' ... I'm in the process of trying to contact the agency about this information at the moment but man it's a slow process.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 18 05:40 BST (UK) »
Whether the Portuguese took the vital records with them back to Portugal  when they  left  Angola and Mozambique in 1975 I do not know.

In South Africa everyone 16 years or older was supposed to have a "Identity Document" which contained  marriage certificate, drivers licence, permit to have a gun etc.. There was no provision for children. Whether these documents are open to the public now I do not know. Any person who did not drive, have a gun, get married I suppose could get away without having one.   

Offline theSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
Ok I have dug up a bit of information.
Her full maiden name is: Feranda Madelein Olivier
Date of birth 27 Jul 1964

I know that she married sometime after I was born (after mid 1980's) and she died around 2001 and was married at the time. I would love to find out who she was married to and see if I can contact them. Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
On Facebook is a group called Waar in die Wereld. Join it and place this information on the group.

My mother was Feranda Madelein Olivier Date of birth 27 Jul 1964.
I know that she married sometime after I was born (after mid 1980's) and she died around 2001 and was married at the time. I would love to find out who she was married to?

Keep it short and simple.
Good luck.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
There is a Fernanda Madelein Morris (Maiden Name: Olivier). More info is behind a pay wall (https://www.gendatabase.com/)...

Offline theSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 18 07:01 BST (UK) »
On Facebook is a group called Waar in die Wereld. Join it and place this information on the group.

My mother was Feranda Madelein Olivier Date of birth 27 Jul 1964.
I know that she married sometime after I was born (after mid 1980's) and she died around 2001 and was married at the time. I would love to find out who she was married to?

Keep it short and simple.
Good luck.

Thanks so much for this! I've submitted to the group

Offline theSearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 18 07:02 BST (UK) »
There is a Fernanda Madelein Morris (Maiden Name: Olivier). More info is behind a pay wall (https://www.gendatabase.com/)...

Wow! Thanks so much, I swear I searched that DB so many times and turned up nothing. I'm not having much luck with the first name. It seems to be spelt differently in different records