Author Topic: The Dunns of Dudley and Montreal  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
The Dunns of Dudley and Montreal
« on: Sunday 05 August 18 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Canadian researchers, I wonder if you can hekp me sort out the Canadian mysteries of this family please.
William DUNN was born in DUDLEY about 1841his wife was Mary nee JEWKESalso born in DUDLEY IN 1842.
in 1881 they are with their children i Dudley and in 1891 they and some of the children are in MONTREAL the children were Fanny 19,John 14, lucy 12, James 8, Zenus 6 and Albert 3
In 1901 they are back in Dudley with James Zenus and Albert with John ROWLEY A widowed son in law who has three children Mary A 9 Elizabeth 8 and John Wm 6 all born in MONTREAL.
in 1911 Mary now a widow is living with LUCY who was now married to Thomas GILES also with them is Albert DUNN 23 and FANNY WILLS 37 and a David Pywell 18 who was born in MONTREAL, no relationships are given but I beleive Fanny Wills was a sister of Lucy
In 1901 Fannny and Richard Wills have a Jane ROWLEY a 2 yr old neice birn in Dudley living with them as well as sons Henry 13  and David P 8 both born in Canada BUT remember Fanny was single in 1891!
So have John ROWLEY and Fanny DUNN married in Canada Did JOhn Rowley marry eother Hannah, Harriet or Elizabeth DUNN  the three older sisters of Lucy and Fanny
do any of the family appear on any passenger lists either coming or going between Britain and Canada and is there any other evidence in MONTREAL of any of the family?
 THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP you can give I just wonder why they went and came back did they travel together did one of the older girls go with a future husband first?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Dunns of Dudley and Montreal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 18 06:09 BST (UK) »
Oh look on the Canadian 1891 census for Quebec
Richard WILLS a blacksmith 31 with wife Hariet 28 and son Henry born Canada 3
IN 1901 Fanny's husband is working in an iron works and is 41!
HARRIET DUNN was born in 1864 so in 1891 would have been 27
Did Richard WILLS marry his sister in law did he marry both times in CANADA?

OH  LOOK was David P son of Richard and Fanny WILLS matches the DAVID PYWELL 18 with Thomas Giles in  1911 that census is a real mess it must be him.

So if Richard WILLS married Harriet and Fanny who did John ROWLEY marry? was it Hannah or Elizabeth?  Is daughter Elizabeth a clue or a red herring?

added well at least one part is solved ELIZABETH Rowley died Q4 1900 age 31 and Elizabeth DUNN was born 1870 So John ROWLEY married Elizabeth DUNN
i now have brother William with wife Winifred nee MANN in CANADA in 1891

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Montreal, Canada, non-Catholic Marriage Index, 1766-1899 - Frances Dunn - marriage to David Pywell - Montreal Canada - Anglican. (no further info in this index)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
Great so FANNY was also a widow when she married Richard WILLS  and the child David was a Pywell taking his step father's name after his mother had remarried that explains why he is PYWELL not WILLS ON THE 1911 CENSUS
Gosh she must have married between 1891-1893 been widowed and married a second time before 1901 then widowed again in 1903 poor lady what a traumatic life
many many thanks

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Pywell is Powell  ???

There is a Canadian passenger list with a David Powell - aged 19 years - was in Montreal for 6 years - 1898 -  travelling as a returning Canadian - had worked in a steelworks in the UK and now wants intended occupation boiler maker in Montreal.  Arrived on the Lake Manitoba - 22 May 1911

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-61K9-PVF?i=39&cc=1823240

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
This Dunn Family mean anything.................. ???

1911   Maisonneuve Sub-Districts 69-126, Quebec, Canada. (This census was taken 1 st June 1911 - UK 1911 was 2 Apeil 1911)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVBH-MVKC

Sandra

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed it does that is WILLIAM born 1868 son of William and MARY nee Jewkes married to Winifred Jane Mann, brother of FANNY mother of David so Pywell =Powell on this occassion

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like another marriage for Fanny in 1894, from the Drouin collection, Grace Anglican Church.

Alfred Charles Emery, bachelor and Fanny Dunn, widow of David Pywell, both of the city of Montreal, on August 11, 1894. Both signed, Fanny as a Dunn, witnesses **Richard Wills** and WFN(?) Barnes.

DB

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For your records, baptism 1893, Drouin Collection, Grace Anglican Church.

David, son of David Pywell of 36 Farm St. and of Fanny his wife, was born in Pt. St. Charles,
March 17, 1893. Signed David Pywell, John Rowley and Elizabeth Rowley.

DB