Author Topic: The Dunns of Dudley and Montreal  (Read 1892 times)

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: The Dunns of Dudley and Montreal
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 August 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Harriet married Richard Wills 24 Dec. 1882 Dudley Worcester.

Richard Wills b. 1860, age 22, single, father John Wills
Harriet Dunn b. 1862, age 19, single, father William Dunn
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mgt/

DB

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 August 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
many thanks Db so was poor FANNY widowed three times in a decade how very sad
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:03 BST (UK) »

WW1 Draft for David Pywell -  resides Youngstown Ohio - born 17 March 1893 - boilermaker

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-91D8-W4S?i=3011&cc=1968530

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
You're welcome. :)

Not seeing a death for David Sr. 

And only a possible for Alfred Charles Emery in 1899 in Boston, Mass. Age 31, b. England,
brakeman (railway), parents William and Louisa Colegreen, found drowned  :'(. He is single,
which could be a error or he was by 1899. In the 1891 census, Alfred, locomotive driver is with his widowed mother Louisa and brother William, which is one page over from Richard and Harriet Wills.
Neighbours. In a 1895 directory he is listed as working for GTR (Grand Trunk Railway) which
operated in Quebec and Ontario and also through Maine, Massachusetts.
1899 death for Alfred.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DTJ8-2X?i=350&cc=1463156

DB

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 August 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not having much luck with passenger lists. :P

Just one, UK Incoming from Montreal to Liverpool arriving Oct. 19, 1897 on the ship "Labrador"
Dunn, Mrs., age 58 wife
Dunn, Lucy, age 18, servt.
Dunn, Zenus, age 10, child
Dunn, Albert, age 8, child

and just above them is
Rowley, Mrs., age 28, wife
Rowley, Mary, age 6, child
Rowley, Eliz, age 4, child
Rowley, Jas age 1, infant

DB

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 August 18 01:14 BST (UK) »
All very welcome items that are adding to the picture of the family I wonder if it was having so many family deaths in Canada, Fanny's husbands  and daughter Harriet influenced William and Mary to return to the UK
so here is what I think we now have:
William and Mary 1881 Dudley 1891 Montreal 1901 Dudley
children
Hannah 1861-1864 Dudley
Harriet 1864 m Richard WILLS in 1882
William 1868 m Winifred Jane MANN canada 1891 & 1911
Elizabeth 1870 married John ROWLEY died in Dudley 1900 child born Canada 1896 child born Dudley 1898 so returned to UK 1896=Oct. 19, 1897 on the ship "Labrador"
Fanny 1872 m1  David Pywell - Montreal between 1891 and 1893 son David later went to live with Uncle William  m2 Alfred Charles Emery, 1894 Montreal he died in 1899 m3 her brother in law Richard WILLS after 1899 and before 1901
Ellen 1874 burnt to death 1896 Newapaper report
John 1876 in Canada 1891
Lucy Ann 1879  in Canada 1891 married Thomas Henry GILES in Dudley 1906 Oct. 19, 1897 on the ship "Labrador"
Zenas 1881-1884
James 1883 in Canada 1891m Minnie? MONTREAL?
Zenas 1885  in Canada 1891 Oct. 19, 1897 on the ship "Labrador"
Albert 1888 Dudley in Canada 1891 so they travelled to Canada between 1888-1891
Oct. 19, 1897 on the ship "Labrador"
why wasn't William  on the ship "Labrador" with Mary?
Can anyone see when Hariet WILLS died? and what happened to John DUNN 1876?

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 August 18 15:40 BST (UK) »

And only a possible for Alfred Charles Emery in 1899 in Boston, Mass. Age 31, b. England,
brakeman (railway), parents William and Louisa Colegreen, found drowned  :'(. He is single,
which could be a error or he was by 1899. In the 1891 census, Alfred, locomotive driver is with his widowed mother Louisa and brother William, which is one page over from Richard and Harriet Wills.
Neighbours. In a 1895 directory he is listed as working for GTR (Grand Trunk Railway) which
operated in Quebec and Ontario and also through Maine, Massachusetts.
1899 death for Alfred.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DTJ8-2X?i=350&cc=1463156

DB

The Boston Globe
Boston, Massachusetts
Saturday, July 29, 1899 - Page 10

MAY BE A CASE Of SUICIDE.
Letters In Clothing Found on Warren Av Bridge are addressed to A. C. Emery, 28 Frothlngham Av, Charlestown. About 6.80 yesterday morning & suit of clothes was found on the Warren av bridge, Charlestown, by John Gallagher, superintendent of the bath at the bridge. In the pockets of the suit were found letters addressed to A. C. Emery, 28 Frothlngham av, Charlestown, and signed, "From your loving mother," 46 Adeline st, Montreal, Can. The letters contained a mothers fondest love to her son. The house at 28 Frothlngham av is a boarding house, run by Mrs Mortell, who stated that Mr Emery was one of her boarders, but he left the house last Wednesday and has not been seen since. When he left the house he said he was going down to the beach, Mr Emery has been employed by the Boston & Maine railroad as a brakeman, but has been out of work for some time.

===================

The Boston Globe
Boston, Massachusetts
Monday, July 31, 1899 - Page 3

NORTH END DISTRICT.
 Patrolmen from the harbor police station were called this morning to pier 5, Hoosac Tunnel docks, to take charge of the body of a man found there by one of the crew of the Dominion liner Bay State. The body was that of a man about 35 years of age, 5 feet 7 inches in hlght and weighing 135 pounds. The body was naked, but as the measurements and light complexion and sandy hair and mustache correspond to those of A. C. Emery of Frothingham st, Charlestown, whose clothing was found at the entrance to the Warren bridge bathhouse several days ago, it Is thought that the body Is his. It was taken to the North Grove st morgue to await Identification.

=======================

The Boston Globe
Boston, Massachusetts
Tuesday, August 01, 1899 - Page 5

BODY IN HOOSAC TUNNEL DOCK
Remains of Albert C. Emery, the
Suicide of Saturdy, Found.

Yesterday morning the body of Albert C. Emery of 28 Frothingham av was found floating by pier 5, Hoosac tunnel dock. He left his clothing on Warren av bridge early last Saturday morning and jumped overboard. Mr Emery was aged about 35, and an Englishman by birth. He has a mother living In Montreal at 46 Aleline st. In the pockets of the clothing found on the bridge were letters from his mother. This led to his identification. Emery had been out of work for some time. The body was naked when found.

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 August 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
How sad  :(

In the 1899-1900 Montreal Directories there is a Wm. Emery (brother) at 46 Adeline St.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 August 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
How odd not to have a mention of a wife He and Fanny had split up was this one reason for his suicide/ Such a sad event. How I feel for poor little David Pywell he lost his father and step father at a very young age then taken to a strange land and introduced to yet another step father...well at least he may have known Richard Wills he seems to have been a close family member through out his life.
I wonder if Richard WILLS was part of the problem between Fanny and Alfred Charles ! Fanny married RIichard in 1897. Is there any where I can look for a divorce for Alfred and Fanny would it be in the newspapers or was n't divorce notable in the 1890s  Its such a sad story.

mcmullin.me.uk