Author Topic: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset  (Read 8361 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset
« on: Sunday 05 August 18 02:40 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I am coming here because I have received such great help in the past  :)

The reason is that I need help in deciphering the will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset (1477-1530).

t is a bit difficult to find as it is transcribed thusly:

Name:   Thomas Margneys

Probate Date:   18 Nov 1531

PROB 11/24: Thower (1531-1533)

(My first searches turned up nothing. Then I found his father's will. His father had the same name and the same title, so I am being very specific here in case somebody wants to take a look.)

This Thomas Grey, the second Marquess, was the grandfather of the not unknown Lady Jane Grey, the nine days Queen.

The reason I want to translate it is that there is much confusion as to his children.

In the interest of full disclosure, this will has been translated before, but it appears to be in a rather obscure edition from the 1800s. Furthermore, I would like a translation that I know would be trustworthy. No offence to the original translator, but several documents relating to the Grey family produced in the 1800s have recently been revealed to be forgeries.

Thank you so much in advance anyone who wishes to try :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Lots of the usual preamble Willow.

In the name of god amen The seconde
daye of June in the yere of our Lorde god y (t) v(c) xxx  I Thomas Marques dorc(hester) hole of
body and of good mynde perfctly knowinge that there is nothing ^more^ certeyne to me then death
and nothinge more uncerteyne then the houre and tyme therof I dreadinge the said tyme
and wold not that I sholde dye intestate, nor that eny striffe variannce  or debate sholde
growe or arise betwene eny maner of personnes for any of my manours landes, rentis and
other my movable goodes that I shulde Leve in this worlde behinde me in eschewing of the
same , I ordeyne and make this my present testament and last will in manour and formme
insuynge: FIRST I bequethe my soule to almyghty god, and to his mother saint marye
and to all the holy company of hevyn And my body to be buryed in the churche of Astleye
in the countye of warwicke nygh unto my father whose soule god pardon if I dye within
the realme of Ingland the costes and charges therof I remytt to the discrescion of myne
executours so that no pompe  nor solempnite be had or used about the same, And myne execu-
tours of this my last will to gyve to preestis and clerks that shall come thither the daye
of my buriall as they shall thinke convenient, And to deale in almes to pore folke the said
day and tyme after their discrescions, ALLSO I will that my executours shall cause iij
honest prestis and of good conversacion to their knowledge to singe  and praye at Asteley
aforsaid for my soule my father and mother soules and all christen soulis by the space of iij yeres
next after my deathe gyvinge to every one of them tenne marks by yere ALLSO I will that all
my debts be paid that I owe to any parsonne and Amends to be made to every pasone that I
have trespacyd or doon wronge unto if good profe be made thereof by the discrescion of myne
executours or the more parte of them ALLSO I will that all my householde ? have

In the margin at the side of the first clip, it gives his name as Thomas Margneys dor...
And underneath “Grey”

I’ve taken this ‘dor’ to mean ‘dorchester’. No doubt someone will put it right if not!
Also no doubt someone will know the superscript letters above the dates in the year at the top - it’s obviously 1 thousand, 5 hundred and 30, but I’m unsure of the letters above.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
In the margin at the side of the first clip, it gives his name as Thomas Margneys dor...
And underneath “Grey”
I’ve taken this ‘dor’ to mean ‘dorchester’.

Test(amentu)m d(omi)nj Thome
Marqueys dor(cestrie)

= The will of Lord Thomas, Marquis of Dorset

Also no doubt someone will know the superscript letters above the dates in the year at the top - it’s obviously 1 thousand, 5 hundred and 30, but I’m unsure of the letters above.

The date is contracted into a hybrid form of Roman numerals and Latin, reading ml vc xxxti. If spelt out in full, the words would be (anno) millesimo quingentesimo tricesimo = ‘the one thousand five hundred and thirtieth (year)’.

Also, at the end of the extract:
... my housholde s(er)v(a)nt(es) have ...

ADDED - 'Dorchester' above now corrected to 'Dorset'.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
Bookbox and goldie61 coming to my rescue again! :)

Thank you so much! Your help really is invaluable.

Lots of the usual preamble Willow.

Yes, I almost suspected as much, lololol! They were fond of their introductions, weren't they? :)

But it is very interesting nonetheless, because it already differs sligthly and at least in one instance significantly from the part of the other translation that I have seen summarised (which of course contained none of the parts I was interested in  ::) But that is turning out to be a good thing, actually, compared to the clearly superior quality of this translation!  :) :D :) )

Alright, next part!

(And thank you so much again! :) )

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Snippet 3:

...their full wagys to the day of my deceas And for their time and goodservice that they have doon

to me afore this tyme I will that every of them ^have^ one hole yeres wagis for his and their rewardes

And allso meate and drinke convenyient for one halfe yere in my house next after my deceas so

that they may have reasonable tyme to provide them selfe sermices Allso I will that John Nutting

have the house w(i)t(h) thappurten(a)nces that he now ^dwelleth^ in ingrowby in the countie of Leiceter and lxvj s

viijd yerely duringe his liff And that John Dabscourte shalhave the same office And yerelye

ffee that he now hathe and occupyeth by myn agrement for terme of his lyff And also I will

that Robert Vincent hath suche offices and ffees as he now hathe of myn for terme of his

lif I will also that William Hill of Sheldon have in like maner suche officies and fees as he

now hathe of myn for terme of his Lyff Allso I will that Thomas Cornewall have the office

of the bayly wike of stebbinge in the coumtie of Essex and the office of the kepinge of the

parke there And the wagis of the ffees to them belonginge for the terme of his liff And I

will that Anthony Bogegood shalhave the office of the kepinge of wysshcombe in the countie...

NOTES:

In the fourth line, the word I have transcribed as sermices is probably meant to be services.

There are a few instances - eg sermices, coumtie - where the writer has gone for one more minim than required.

In the fifth line, read as ...^dwelleth^ in in growby in the countie of...

This is presumably Groby.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 August 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you so much!  :)

This is wonderful! He certainly was generous, wasn't he?  :)

Yes, Groby would fit perfectly! Groby was an old stronghold of the family. His grandfather, who was the first husband of Elizabeth Woodville, later Queen of England, was Sir John Grey of Groby.

Our Thomas Grey himself was known as Baron Ferrers of Groby at the time of his marriage to Margaret Wotton, the mother of his children, in 1509 :) It would remain one of his lesser titles.

Thank you so much again! You would not believe how difficult it has been to cast any light upon this matter!

I am so grateful for all of your help :) You are so incredibly good at this!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
Snippet 4, from reply #3

... of Devonshire with all the wagys and fees to it belonging for terme of his lyffe  And I will

that Thomas Seyton have such offyces and fees as he now hathe and occupyeth of myn for

terme of his lyfe  And I will also that all and ev(er)y such parsonne and parson(n)s as have eny

office of Baylywike Stewardeshipp keparshipp of eny parke or park(es) or warren by myne

appointment or assignement and now doo occupye and excercise the same shall frome hensforthe

duringe their severall lyves have and exercise the said office and offices and ffees as every of them

as they doo now use and exercise the same in like maner and fourme with like wag(es) fees and

proffit(es) as they have or ought to have hadd in and for the exe^r^cisinge therof for term of their

lyves and every of them doing their dueties and sermic(es)* to my lady my wiff and the heires

of me accordinge as their officies dothe lye  I will that Roberte Broke scolemaster to my ...

* = services, see horselydown’s note in reply #4

(Just a thought, but it would be surprising if the content of this will were to add anything much to the known pedigree for the family. You would expect any will proved in the PCC to already have been taken full account of in the standard published genealogies.)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 August 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  :)

I apologise for posting the fifth and sixth snippet before the fourth was transcribed. I did not realise. I have so much respect for the wonderful work you do here.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you entirely. However, it would appear that many of those pedigrees are based on a wrongly transcribed version of this will.

I think I just found that transcription. At first I felt my stomach sinking that you had all gone to this trouble for me when it apparently was out there all along after all, it had just weirdly not shown up in any of my searches. But sometimes I really think that there is a guiding force helping us in our enquiries :)

Because when I read the actual transcription I realised that that transcription was not this transcription ... Furthermore, it appears to through some weird printing error to have been intermixed with another will (!), which would account for some of the weird errouneous information out there.

For instance, in one of summaries I had found, it said that the will had been written in 1521, even a date was given. As we can see from the above, this is of course entirely wrong. If the will had been written in 1521, or I had wrongly assumed it to be so, this would naturally have had great consequences for who would have been born when, been dead and married by when.

It struck me as odd, given that the wills from this period so rarely have dates and usually were written after the testator had become ill with their final illness.

Of course, there are exceptions, but something was just ... off.

Most sources seem to agree that Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquis of Dorset, and Margaret Wotton had four sons and four daughters, while some will allow them only the three daughters well-known to history.

The life of Henry Grey (husband to Frances Brandon and father of Jane Grey), eldest son, 3rd Marquis of Dorset and later Duke of Suffolk, of younger son Thomas and of fourth son John are fairly well-documented. Being implicated in high treason will do that for you :)

The fourth son is variously named Leonard or Edward, depending on where you look, and is referred to as being deceased before the failed attempt to put Lady Jane Grey on the throne.

Furthermore, there is agreement that Lady Elizabeth Grey, the wife Thomas Audley, 1st Baron Audley of Walden, Lady Katherine Grey, the wife of Henry FitzAlan, 19th Earl of Arundel, and Lady Anne Grey, the wife of Sir Henry Willoughby, were all three the daughters of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquis of Dorset and Margaret Wotton.

Their names are usually given in the above order, and I have seen Katherine referred to as the second daughter and Anne as the third.

However, all available evidence suggests that Elizabeth must be the youngest of those three.

She married in 1538. The groom had just been widowed a few short months earlier, so the marriage could not have been the result of a lengthy betrothal either.

Katherine was married at least by 1532, at which point she was styled as Lady Maltravers, and Anne was 'married by agreement dated 20 Sept. 1528'.

I have seen this described as a settlement elsewhere, but I think that was simply an extrapolation of the above information.

A settlement would imply cohabitation, but if the above contract was a betrothal agreement for instance instead, that would have implications for how old we can assume Anne to be at time.

A Mary is also usually listed. I did find her name in a book which seemed pretty reliable

The order they are listed in that book is Mary, Katherine, Elizabeth and Anne.

But even if we accept Mary as the eldest sister (she could have died as an infant, a child, or just young), Anne's place in the order still does not make sense in that she was married first, and she is still not the third sister as per the other source.

Elizabeth is usually always listed first of the sisters, but that could simply be because she is the most well-known in our day and age due to the fact that she was the subject of a lovely miniature by Holbein.

So I am searching for possible clues to birth order of the sisters, mainly :) But also to settle what name the second or third Grey son actually had.

I also had great hopes that Mary could have been a misreading Margaret, that the abbreviation 'Marg.' had been used in some document or letter or another. Handwritten, this could have been easily mistook for 'Mary'.

Because a 'Lady Margaret Grey' is well-documented. She first appears as a receiver of a New Year's gift from Henry VIII in 1534. She must have been quite an important lady, because she was also in the second chariot as one of the 29 female mourners in the procession at Queen Jane Seymour's funeral.

I am starting to wonder, however, if that Lady Margaret Grey is Margaret Wotton, Marchioness of Dorset. She would have been known under her married name in her own time, of course. Because in 1534, there would have been another Marchioness of Dorset, Lady Frances Brandon, Henry VIII own niece. Her husband would not ascend to the title of Duke of Suffolk making her a duchess until nearly two decades later, after the death of Frances's father and brothers.

I am not entirely satisfied with this theory either, however, as I do not understand why they would not simply be referred to as 'the old Marchioness' and 'the new/young Marchioness' as I have seen elsewhere in lists of New Year's gifts from the King.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
I apologise for posting the fifth and sixth snippet before the fourth was transcribed.

No problem.

Glancing ahead, I can see that at least four sons are named in the will – Henry, Thomas, Edward and John. A number of daughters are also referenced, but they may not all be individually named.

I’m clocking out now, but those in different time-zones may be able to help with further transcription.