Author Topic: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset  (Read 8148 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset
« Reply #72 on: Monday 13 August 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you, HD!!!  :) :D :) This is so wonderful!

He is trying so hard to be fair.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 13 August 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
That was incredibly speedy and good work, HD!  :) :) :)

And I will that Elizabeth Stafferton wif to Cristofer Stafferton have yerely out of the said Manours landes and ten(emen)ts in Growby aforeaid lxvjs viijd for terme of hir lyff

I think I found Cristofer Stafferton:

STAVERTON (STAFFERTON), Christopher (by 1517-57 or later), of Aldenham, Herts. and London - History of Parliament Online
http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/staverton-%28stafferton%29-christopher-1517-57-or-later

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 13 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Snippet 31

... myne executours shalbe thought moste best and Convenient  And in like maner a goodly tombe

to be made over my lorde my father and my lady my mother and after that done my tombe

to be made at Asteley in the mydd(es) of the channcell where I entendid god willinge to be buryed

And after the said thinges so doon I will that myne Executours at Asteley aforesaid sufficiently ^buyld^ &

make and Almes house* convenient by their discrescions for xiij pore men there to enhabite and

dwell  In all whiche costes and charges to the buyldinge and makinge of all the premiss(es) shalbe ...

* presumably = an Almes house

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 13 August 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Snippet 32

... receyvid levid and takyn by myne executours of all suche manours Landes and tenementis

whiche I before have declarid and namid to the p(er)fourmannce of my will  And I will that ev(er)y

of the said xiij pore men frome tyme to tyme for ever shalbe named assignid and appointed

by myn executours duringe their lyves  And after their decease by myn heyres  And I will

to every of the said poore men wekely xij d and yerely alyverye* of blacke Cotton price iiij s

Allso I will my manours of Bedworthe and packington  And all my landes and ten(emen)tis in ...

* = a livery

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 13 August 18 19:48 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you so much, Bookbox!!!  :) :D :)

I am still so in awe of how you do this!

He appears to have been very fond of his father. Probably one of them lovable rakes, if the wills of his son, his widow and his ex-mistress are anything to go by. The one thing they all seem to be able to agree on is that they all loved him.

The ex-mistress would probably have loved to be buried next to him too, if decency had at all allowed her.

Thank you so much again, Bookbox!!!  :) :) :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 13 August 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
Also, I love all of the gifts to diverse charitable foundations! (And the assorted hermit.) That is a real change from pre- to post-reformation wills.

This is such great work! Thank you so much  :) :-* :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 13 August 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Snippets 33 & 34
Bedworthe and Packynton and the rents issues and proffitts of the same, And all Landas
and tents which were lately in the occupacion of my lorde lyle reputed and takyn as p(ar)cell
of the same lordeshippes shalbe to the use and intente that myn executours shall take the
proffitts of the same to the use and intente that they shall pay every mounthe to every of
the said pore  men their wagis and stipend as is abovesaide and their lynary yerely

Also I will that every of the said pore men continually shalbe namyde and appointed
by my lady my wife duringe hur lyfe, And after hur decease by myne heires And I will
that after the death of my said executours that myn heires shall receyve the issues rents
and proffitts of the said ij manno(ur)s landis and tentis in Bedworthe and Packington, And all
other the premyss that werr lately receverid by aform(entioned) title against the said lorde lysley to

I think 'lynary' would possibly be their 'linen' - ie, new underclothes!

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:34 BST (UK) »
Or perhaps livary, like lyverye in #32 above, meaning 'uniform'.

The last line of #34 could be ... werr lately recoverid by a form(er) title ... ?

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 13 August 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Snippets 33 & 34
Bedworthe and Packynton and the rents issues and proffitts of the same, And all Landas
and tents which were lately in the occupacion of my lorde lyle reputed and takyn as p(ar)cell
of the same lordeshippes shalbe to the use and intente that myn executours shall take the
proffitts of the same to the use and intente that they shall pay every mounthe to every of
the said pore  men their wagis and stipend as is abovesaide and their lynary yerely

Also I will that every of the said pore men continually shalbe namyde and appointed
by my lady my wife duringe hur lyfe, And after hur decease by myne heires And I will
that after the death of my said executours that myn heires shall receyve the issues rents
and proffitts of the said ij manno(ur)s landis and tentis in Bedworthe and Packington, And all
other the premyss that werr lately receverid by aform(entioned) title against the said lorde lysley to

Goodness! He was detail-oriented, wasn't he! Lololol  ;D :D ;D

my lorde lyle or lysley - Probably this chap:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Plantagenet,_1st_Viscount_Lisle

He was Elizabeth of York's half-brother, the illegitimate son of her father Edward IV. And for many years a favoured courtier of Henry VIII :) The Anne Basset I mentioned earlier was actually his step-daughter!

He is the only fit for the title in 1530. Earlier it would have belonged to Charles Brandon, later to Ambrose Dudley :)

Thank you so much, goldie, this is wonderful! :) :D :) He is fairly entertaining, our Marquis, isn't he? I am beginning to understand why Henry VIII kept him around *g*