Author Topic: Help with baptism abbreviation, please  (Read 2032 times)

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with baptism abbreviation, please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 August 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi sancti, That's an interesting point you make.  My geography knowledge of the area isn't very good and I didn't think about that.  I'll keep it in mind as I work along the family. Thank you for mentioning it.

Pennines, It was a fun get-together and I came back with lots more family history information.  Now to get to work verifying everything.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 18 10:33 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if it is a combination register of different churches or chapels controlled by the same Minister, otherwise why would the church need to be identified against an entry? That's not really a question, it's just a thought.
Your thought is spot on.

Each Church of Scotland parish was supposed to keep a single register of baptisms and marriages, and in theory the register was supposed to include all denominations. Where there was more than one Church of Scotland the register should include both or all of them. This doesn't always happen, but evidently it did in Old Monkland at that time.

As to why they went to Old Monkland Church rather than Gartsherrie, there could be umpteen reasons. Maybe they were regular attenders at OMC and just went on going there after moving to Summerlee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying that Forfarian. Much appreciated.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.