Author Topic: Fold3 Free Access 6-9 August  (Read 867 times)

Offline Clarkey500

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flag of Somerset
    • View Profile
Fold3 Free Access 6-9 August
« on: Monday 06 August 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
Just to let everyone know, Fold3 are having a free weekend starting today (Monday) and expiring on Thursday at 23:59 for Commonwealth military records.

At the same time, as has been mentioned on the WW1 board, Ancestry's WW1 records are free to view. However, as the Fold3 records contain information from a variety of periods of history and the fact that Fold3 is a different website, I feel this deserves a seperate thread.

You will need to sign in to Fold3 to access their records, but this can be done by signing in with your Ancestry details and then creating a free account with this information if you haven't already done so.
Devon: Bibby, Bird, Chaplin, Davey, Littlejohns, Pope, Shire, Sloman, Tucker
Dorset: Gauler
Gloucestershire: Gauler
Hampshire: Kimber
London: Crump, Gauler
Middlesex: Crump
Monmouthshire: Brunt
Northumberland: Bibby
Somerset: Clarke, Dibble, Duddridge, Parsons, Pool, Poole, Shire, Silvester
Surrey: Clarke
Wiltshire: Gauler

GEDmatch (myself): A869547
GEDmatch (my maternal grandfather):A933749
GEDmatch (my maternal grandmother): NY7596565

Offline Jenburd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fold3 Free Access 6-9 August
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi there - I was wondering if anyone knows an easy way of finding old Fold3 hints on Ancestry.com that have been ignored?  Or whether it is just a point of going through each person and checking on each ignored hint?
Smith, Hodgson, Beard, Hobby, Hyde

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 02:37 BST (UK) »
Just to let others know, I hadn't seen Clarkey's post but I'd logged into Anc & there was a hint with info. for free access to Fold3 & as Clarkey says you can log in via your Anc account but...

This is a bypass of having to use your debit/credit card for a 'free trial' i.e. signing you straight in & no need for any card details!!!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
What I don't understand is why when you go to Fold3 and you ask to download a record to Ancestry it says you have to have a tree on Fold3  ??? Surely this is just trying to het you to duplicate your Ancestry tree on Fold3
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Just to let others know, I hadn't seen Clarkey's post but I'd logged into Anc & there was a hint with info. for free access to Fold3 & as Clarkey says you can log in via your Anc account but...

This is a bypass of having to use your debit/credit card for a 'free trial' i.e. signing you straight in & no need for any card details!!!

Annie

I have a current Ancestry sub and was logged in to Ancestry, I tried to access a WW1 British record was taken to Fold3 site and immediately to a subscription page for a 7 day "free" trial and invited to enter my credit card details. I can't see how to bypass this and get to a record which is supposedly free to view today.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Google fold3 login
Click account details and you can choose log in with Ancestry

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 August 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much - got in all right now. It seems I already have a fold3 account. Completely different user name to Ancestry. Part of my email address with a string of numbers on the end. Not a user name I would have chosen. Must be automatically generated
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott