Author Topic: Bury/Edenfield Areas  (Read 3705 times)

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: Bury/Edenfield Areas
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 August 18 20:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to everybody.

At least Kay Barn has been found and after a fresh look, King Barn is actually Kay Barn.

In the absence of anything else, I will settle on Nuttall Factory being in Nuttall/Nuttall Lane area. I'll read up on that later. Nice picture by the way. Could well be the place.

Gives me a better picture of where people were.

Just leaves the place 'Bell' on the St Mary's Christening, if anyone has any ideas.

Many thanks, Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 August 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for any place ‘Bell’ in the area? Sometimes modern names retain the old or part of the old name.
If you find something worth checking, you can use the modern postcode on the Old Maps site to check.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 August 18 21:00 BST (UK) »

Just leaves the place 'Bell' on the St Mary's Christening, if anyone has any ideas.

Was baptism at St. Mary Parish Church, Bury?  My 1st thought is Bell Lane (B622). It's a wide road, leading east from Bury town centre. It's at a right angle to Walmersley Road which is one of the roads north from Bury. Behind Bell Lane is an area called Freetown.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
Nuttall Old Hall was the seat of the De Notagh family (later known as Nuttall) from 1377-1698. The Old Hall was built in 1429. John Grant, of the mill-owning family, bought the Nuttall Estate in 1812 and built Nuttall Hall 1817. It's the stable-block and outbuildings of the hall of Grant's day which survive, not part of the hall itself.

The lone cottage was sole survivor of around 100 at Nuttall village.

See leaflet Village Link - Walk 3 - Holcombe, Ramsbottom - Park Farm. This has a detailed map showing area early 21stC. Text refers to "many of the people who worked in the early mills in Nuttall village"
www.village-link.com/Walk-3-Holcombe-Ramsbotton-Park-Farm.html

Also Visit Manchester - Ramsbottom, Summerseat & Holcombe Walk 12.

Unfortunately the website "Old Nuttall Village www.lineone.net/-davghalgh/nutallvillagepictures.html is no longer accessible since TalkTalk has stopped hosting it. That's where I first saw the photo.

Nuttall Mill is on a list of cotton mills in Ramsbottom in 1891 on Grace's Guide website. It had 600 looms. Also on the list is Richard Nuttall's Turn Mill at Shuttleworth with 5000 spindles. Turn is a little place between Shuttleworth and Edenfield. (Not that the other 2 places are big.)

Grace's Guide is for sources of historical records pertaining to industry or business. 
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1891_cotton_mills_in_Ramsbottom

As Nuttall was a recognised locality long before Industrial Revolution, the Nuttall abode would have been Nuttall Village area or possibly the Nuttall Lane area.
Cowban

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
I haven't come up with anything with a Bell connection in the area.

Yes, it was at St Mary's Church. I suppose Bell Lane would seem highly likely. It was a main road and most people in the area probably lived along it. Looking on a map c1818, there appear to be buildings along the road.

There are quite a few references to 'Bell' on the Christenings that year.

Again, many thanks. Eric.

Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 August 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
I think the Mill at Shuttleworth is a bit  far out. Nuttall/Nuttall Lane seems the most likely.

Nuttall Factory was probably the name it was known by at the time.

Something may turn up when I get round to reading about the area.

Looking at the burials of the time, there are other people 'of Nuttall Factory' as well as 'Nuttall' and 'Nuttall Lane', which looks as though there was housing there for the workers. That makes Nuttall Mill look a good proposition.

Eric.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
I think the Mill at Shuttleworth is a bit  far out. Nuttall/Nuttall Lane seems the most likely.

If it was Shuttleworth, Edenfield church would have been the nearest churchyard, about a mile, along the same side of the valley.
Shuttleworth and Holcombe are on opposite sides of the Irwell Valley. I can't remember exact years the turnpike roads in the area were opened; some were being laid around 1st decade of 19thC. It appears to me that if transporting a corpse in 1807,  the most direct route from Shuttleworth to Holcombe, along the old roads,  was about 3 miles, most of it up hill and down dale, crossing the Irwell at Ramsbottom. The final mile from Ramsbottom to Holcombe Church is steep. They would need a cart or a reserve team of pallbearers, or many halts en route. (Oldest pub in Ramsbottom is partway up the last stretch.)

Nuttall village to Holcombe Church is a mile, via Nuttall Lane. Only the last furlong is very steep. Mourners could return via a short-cut and be back at work in no time.

Did you notice that 3 John Rothwell marriages at Bury were to women with surname Nuttall?

Cowban

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
When you take everything into account, it must be Nuttall Village/Mill. That's good enough for me.

As for the marriages, I got to 5....both not uncommon names in the area, which doesn't help my cause. This Susan Rothwell's widower's next wife was one of those Nuttalls and she died at Nuttall...possibly Nuttall Factory, but it just says Nuttall!

Regards, Eric.

Offline retiredlancslad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 September 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Nuttall was a small hamlet on the side of the River Irwell just outside Ramsbottom. There was a mill there and there are photographs on the Ramsbottom Heritage web site. Nuttall Lane is a road, previously a lane linking the ,main Ramsbottom - Bolton road and going down towards the river past what was Ramsbottom Cottage Hospital and eventually over the hill into Summerseat.
Tomlinson
Taylor
Kershaw
Butterworth