Author Topic: Bury/Edenfield Areas  (Read 3710 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bury/Edenfield Areas
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 September 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
From "Introduction to Ramsbottom" on Ramsbottom Heritage Society website:
"Welcome to Ramsbottom, a small friendly town founded in the Georgian era from scattered farmsteads and the hamlet of Nuttall."
List of questions on the website include a few about people who lived in or near Nuttall.
An oral history tape in the society's catalogue is someone's grandmother's memories of Nuttall, recording ID T55. The society's archive is kept by Bury Libraries.
www.ramsbottomheritage.org.uk

For 21st century photos see Friends of Nuttall Park. Their website also has a small modern map. www.friendsofnuttallpark.co.uk

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 20 September 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
Mancuniensis website has lists of townships and hamlets in parishes in Salford Hundred.
www.mancuniensis.info/index.htm

Salford Hundred: Ancestry, Annals and History: Townlands: Tottington Lower End: 1830: Nuttall:
"Nuttall, a hamlet in the township of Tottington Lower End, parish of Bury, Hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Bury. Nuttall Hall is the seat of John Grant, esq."
Source seems to be "The New Lancashire Gazetteeer or Topographical Dictionary" 1830.
See also the map of Bury parish under heading "maps".

Cowban

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didn't get back earlier. I haven't been on this site or, any in fact, very much the last few months.

Very interesting reading. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that all these people are related. I've got 3 sets of names from around the Ramsbottom area that I'm convinced must be connected, but I haven't been able to make any firm connections. They stretch from Edenfield, down to Nuttall, which is why I was trying to get a fix on where the various locations. It's still a work in progress.

Many thanks. Regards, Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent