Author Topic: Allardice family from Kirriemuir?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline sheilalewry44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Allardice family from Kirriemuir?
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 19:43 BST (UK) »
My g/grandmother was Betsy Allardice, born 12 Dec 1848 in Kirriemuir.  Her parents were Robert Allardice and Helen Barrie. Does anyone have any further info on this family please?

I have no idea when or where Robert or Helen were born. I have 10 children for Robert and Helen, but the first three children, including Betsy, had the mothers name as Helen (or Ellen) Barret not Barrie. I would love to have more info on this family.

On the 1881 census there is a
Robert Allardice age 64 b.Kirriemuir
his wife Helen age 52 b. Larbert Stirling,
son James age 19 Kirriemuir,
daur Jessie age 12 Kirriemuir.

The two children certainly fit in with the ages of 'my' Robert and Helens children. I have tried to find a Helen Barret or Barrie born in Larbert, but no joy.
Of course, this may not be the right family in 1881.

The following are the 10 children I have for them
Betsy Allardice              12 Dec 1848
John Allardice                27 Mar 1851
George Allardice           20 May 1854
Duncan  Milne Allardice 10 Nov 1856
Robert Allardice                8 Jul 1859
James Allardice              25 Jan 1862
Charles Allardice             3 Mar 1865
Isabella Allardice           25 Sep 1866
Jessie Mill Allardice         17 Feb 1869
Hellen Allardice                6 Nov 1873       d. 11 Aug 1874

I'm hoping someone can add something to this as these parents have been hiding long enough! Thanks ...Sheila

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Allardice family from Kirriemuir?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 21:27 BST (UK) »
Sheila

The expenditure of a few £ and a few minutes is required.......   ;)

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and search in the 1871 census for Robert AL*RD?CE, - the surname is a "pig" in terms of possible spelling variations, and you will quickly find the family, - with the bonus that there's a probable brother of Robert's next door.

You know that Robert was alive in 1881 so search for his death register entry, - as you know his age from two censuses, you can put in a reasonable accurate year of birth.  You should quickly find his death register entry, so that you now have his parents names, and, with a wee bit of imagination, will quickly find his birth in IGI, but be aware that his mother had a given name open to a wide variety of spellings.

You will also find a post-1854 death register for his mother, so that you then have one set of grandparents.

Hellen was alive when Robert died, but finding her death register entry is more difficult, - Hint: look at the censuses for her place of birth, and be prepared for the person registering her death, a son, not getting her maiden surname right, - in fact worse than that  :(

ibi

Offline sheilalewry44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Allardice family from Kirriemuir?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks ibi
I can certainly try some of the things you have suggested. Unfortunately as I told you on the Wallace site, I cant view the certs.on my computer for some reason. But if I find the deaths, I can always send for the certificates. So that will be three that I am looking for. One for Robert, one for his mum and one for Helen. Thanks again .. Sheila