Author Topic: Maude Foxcroft  (Read 349 times)

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maude Foxcroft
« on: Monday 06 August 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
I was looking for an H Joscelyn Foxcroft, a financial journalist for the London edition of the Guardian from the 1920s to 1940s, and identified him as Henry John Foxcroft, 1886-1953. But his wife has thrown up a bit of a question mark over her identity.

ON the 1939 Register I found Henry J Foxcroft, journalist born 29/8/1896 living Paddington with Maude Foxcroft born 4/11/1891. (Henry and Maude are at 64 Lebanon Park on 1952 etc electoral rolls which is the address for the Henry John Foxcroft who died 1953, the GRO death index saying c1887-1953 which fits a 1886 birth registration for his name, so I believe he is 1886-1953).

Back to Maude. On the 1939 register, in the box for her name is also the name Eliza Maud Tucker. And in 1974 in Hounslow are the death registrations for an Eliza Maude Foxcroft and an Eliza Maude Tucker, both born 4/11/1890.  And an Eliza Maud Tucker's birth is registered the 4th quarter 1890 in Warwick.

But on Henry's Probate Index record, his widow is Martha Foxcroft. And an Henry J Foxcroft married a Martha Mann in 1913 -in Warwickshire (Henry John Foxcroft is living West Bromwich on 1911 census). No suitable death/remarriage found for a Martha Foxcroft, and the only possibility on Register is married to a George Foxcroft. And cannot see a Martha Mann born 1890

Can anyone help me sort out who was Henry's wife by 1939? I assume he must be the 1913 marriage, but would he name a wife in his will who he was no longer with - and what happened to her. I don't really want to go to the expense of certificates etc as it is Henry I am more interested in, though it would be nice to positively identify his wife at the time of his death.
(Incidentally the only marriage I can find for a Foxcroft to an Eliza Maud(e) might be the John Foxcroft to Eliza M Harvey in London in 1914,  but who would appear to be the John and Maud Foxcroft on 1939 register.)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maude Foxcroft
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
So his age is misstated by 10 years in the 1939 Register, if as you say he was born in 1886 rather than 1896?  Or could these be separate people?

Likely daughter of the 1913 marriage: Joan Beryl Foxcroft, mmn Mann, Dec qtr 1917 King’s Norton.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Martha was aka Phyllis Martha Foxcroft.

FOXCROFT Martha otherwise Phyllis Martha Foxcroft of Princess Alice Hospital Eastbourne died 16 February 1981.  Administration with will Brighton 15 February 1982.  Estate: £2,307.

Death reg: Phyllis Martha Foxcroft, born 19 June 1884, Mar qtr 1981 Eastbourne.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
It looks to me as though Henry probably remained lawfully married to (Phyllis) Martha, but by 1939 was cohabiting with Eliza Maud Tucker who also used his surname of Foxcroft.

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I wonder if religion played a part in them remaining married  - the Roman Catholic attitude to divorce for instance. Might go for a copy of the will as that might give  a clue to the arrangements.

I see there are a couple of possibilities for her birth as Martha as no sign of a Phyllis Martha birth except in Colchester in 1844!
Think I have  found Phyllis on the 1939 Register as Phyllis M Foxcroft born 19/6/1887! living Smethwick - at least using the Findmypast (for which I don't have a sub) version as I have been unable to find her on the Ancestry Register despite using every keyword/number.

Thanks
John