Author Topic: Samuel Cowan  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Cowan
« on: Monday 06 August 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi looking for some help traced back to a Samuel Cowan he is the father of Mary Cowan and she was married to Hugh Boyd I have found out Mary was born 1834 not sure where but she was married in Northern Ireland

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Cowan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:14 BST (UK) »
For starters:

Marriage, 1 January 1852 at Ballynahinch, Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland
Mary Cowan to Hugh Boyd
Fathers: Samuel Cowan and Robert Boyd
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Cboyd13

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you 😊

Really struggling with tracing Samuel Cowan and Robert Boyd now

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello CBoyd.

Let me know if you find out anything more about your Boyd ancestor. My g-g-grandmother was Agnes Boyd, daughter of James Boyd (Annahilt). It was also there that she married , in 1858, Samuel Ferguson (son of Alexander Ferguson).

All I know of James Boyd was that he was a weaver (as per the marriage certificate). The mother of one or the other of my g-g-grandparents may have had the surname Black.

Agnes was born around 1839 (19 at the time of marriage).

Good luck in your searches.
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you 😊

Really struggling with tracing Samuel Cowan and Robert Boyd now

Where have you searched?

Handier as it saves people looking at all the stuff you have searched.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 18:49 GMT (UK) »

Cert

Party 1 Name   HUGH BOYD
Party 2 Name   MARY COWAN
Date of Event   01 January 1852
Group Registration ID   3218166
SR District/Reg Area   Downpatrick
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if someone would have better luck deciphering my g-g-grandparents marriage certificate (or have access to a clearer copy), specifically the names of Witnesses for the marriage of Agnes Boyd and Samuel Ferguson, and maybe explain the what is written under residence at time of marriage?

Thanks!

PS: Still not clear on what a Townland is vis-à-vis a Parish, etc. Samuel Ferguson resided at Magheranock Parish of Maghreadrool and Agnes Boyd at Ballymurphy Parish of Annahilt (both in the Diocese of Dromore?)
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:19 GMT (UK) »
My g-g-grandmother was Agnes Boyd, daughter of James Boyd (Annahilt). It was also there that she married , in 1858, Samuel Ferguson (son of Alexander Ferguson).

Party 1 Name   SAMUEL FERGUSON
Party 2 Name   AGNES BOYD
Date of Event   28 February 1858
SR District/Reg Area   Downpatrick

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1858/09548/5461701.pdf

Her residence was Ballymurphy townland in the civil parish of Annahilt. Halfway between Annahilt and Ballynahinch.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/annahilt/ballymurphy/

James Boyd is mentioned in the 1863 Griffiths Valuation.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p6y/

Samuel Ferguson was from Magheraknock. Magheradrool CP.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/kinelarty/magheradrool/magheraknock/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
In the Griffith Valuation it says that William Black was the lessor for the house of James Boyd. But it appears that William Black himself leased the land from the Marquis of Downshire. Does anyone know how that worked? (off-topic, I know but life is like that ;-)