Author Topic: WDYTYA - Marvin Humes  (Read 6097 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - Marvin Humes
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
I found this an interesting episode, but I did wonder why Frederick Buckingham`s WW1 service ( if any ) was not mentioned.

I think that if the researchers HAD found any WW1 Service history, it would have been mentioned?
Or maybe it was simply left on the cutting-room floor, as there was so much else to fit in?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
I think that they say 'wow' because they are stuck for words!
Maybe some of them swear,so they have to do a re-take and ask them to say wow instead!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
I too enjoyed this episode, although I'd not heard of him before and was a little sceptical about whether it would hold my interest as I've no Jamaican history.
What a personable young man he was, thoughtful about researching both sides of his family and they were certainly interesting!
It seems such a shame that the land belonging to the family in Jamaica is just left to fend for itself. I did wonder why his gt. Grandfathers cousin hadn't mentioned it when they first met but I suppose they wanted him to see all the records first. His reaction to one of his ancestors owning slaves seem to cause him some concerns, understandably.
Poor old Fred Buckingham, he certainly didn't have the best of starts in life and so it continued! No wonder he always looked grumpy.
All in all an interesting programme.
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Good episode. I was recently helping someone with Jamaican ancestry so it was interesting to see how far back they went. There's no census records for Jamaica. I wasn't able to get back to slavery using the online records available the earliest record I found was a baptism from 1869.

Blue 

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
I was considering not watching this episode, as I've never heard of Marvin Humes, but really enjoyed it.  His reactions seemed really genuine and the records found, particularly in Jamaica, were amazing.  No wonder Old Man Buckingham was so grumpy - what a dreadful early life he had and what difficult times he had in his life in the Merchant Navy!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 11:22 BST (UK) »
I was considering not watching this episode, as I've never heard of Marvin Humes, but really enjoyed it.  His reactions seemed really genuine and the records found, particularly in Jamaica, were amazing.  No wonder Old Man Buckingham was so grumpy - what a dreadful early life he had and what difficult times he had in his life in the Merchant Navy!

I wasn't sure who he was either but tbh I'd watch the programme if it was a member of the public.  There's usually interesting stories.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 14:31 BST (UK) »
Instead of giving Marvin a jolly to Jamaica they could have tried to sort out Frederick's true parentage - not as easy as it first seems, give it a try.

Also I was a bit confused by those medals Marvin was given at the end of the programme. Were they meant to be Frederick's actual medals (from a descendant of Frederick's) or just copies of medals he would have been awarded?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline polly50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
Good episode. Marvin seemed genuinely shocked by the fact his black ancestor kept slaves.

I think he and his mum may have found a new hobby  :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
Instead of giving Marvin a jolly to Jamaica they could have tried to sort out Frederick's true parentage - not as easy as it first seems, give it a try.

Maybe they tried and it was difficult. Perhaps it was more about the man rather than the child.
I enjoyed Jamaica  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk