Author Topic: Manchester R O  (Read 2465 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester R O
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
It looks as though Francis b 1860 is the son of ....

Marriages Mar 1848   

COTTRILL    Elizabeth        Chapel en le F    19   385   

VERNON    Francis        Chapel en le Frith    19   385    

Before she died in 1860....

Deaths Dec 1860 

Vernon    Elizabeth        Chapel le f    7b   341

VERNON, FRANCIS    mmn    COTTRILL     
GRO Reference: 1860  M Quarter in CHAPEL EN LE FRITH  Volume 07B  Page 618

And therefore is indeed the stepson of Mary Vernon in 1861 and 1871
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
On the 1889 certificate Frank says his father was Isaac Vernon a warehouseman, but you have to question everything. Mary Green said she was a spinster  and married in her maiden name but had been married in 1883 and there's no death for her husband between 1883-89. When I pointed this out things went quiet, but I know it's true because her child is in her parents grave.
 Frank Vernon died aged 46 in 1905 their daughter went to Canada in 1912 and Mary & son followed in 1913 and when he offered to marry an older divorced woman in 1918 Mary
was furious and returned to England.
But she wasn't actually divorced as she had married in 1907 and a visitor to their boarding house recognised the groom on their wedding photo as having a wife and family in England, so when exposed he legged it! So Mary was a bit of a hypocrite. She did return after a few years to visit her family but died in England in 1935.
Going back to the start, I would have called in Manchester Register Office and asked them to check the two births but they say the old records are in central library so the only option is to buy the certificate, I thought they kept all the records back to 1837.  Thanks to all
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 17:15 BST (UK) »
I think you always have to buy civil registration certificates. I don’t think you can get a look up.

The registers are at the library though.  See here http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mgy/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
    I e mailed Manchester Register Office with a query in 1856
 their reply said, " I can't check for you because records of this age are held by the central library"
  I thought it sounded odd as I thought the register offices held on to their registers?

Hi Colin,

The Manchester Register Office are correct in telling you this.  The newer registers i.e. approx 1918 to the current date they hold.  The older  registers (so more than 100 years old ) are located at Archives + (Manchester Central Library) Having said that only Register Office staff (or deputised persons) can access these. 

Hope this explains this.

CD

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I didn't know that you could get a certificate from the library, when I was visiting Oldham, before it moved to Chadderton Town Hall, they would bring the register out of the safe behind the counter and check if it was the right entry
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, I didn't know that you could get a certificate from the library, when I was visiting Oldham, before it moved to Chadderton Town Hall, they would bring the register out of the safe behind the counter and check if it was the right entry

That was the good old days  :) The last time I went to Chadderton, the certificate had to be posted out to me, I couldn’t wait and pick it up as before.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Very true, Elsie Rowson was great, she almost read the certificate out if you were lucky.
I haven't bought a proper certificate since the PDFs started.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
I had an e mail from Manchester Register Office today, they have carried out an investigation in conjunction with Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society.
The 1857 one was wrong they were both born on the same day in 1856 one at home and one in the workhouse to the same parents. The conclusion was that these two are the same child and by registering twice as a way to change the child's name. They think the case so extraordinary that they plan to publish it in the MLFHS magazine.
So it looks like the Francis born in Hull in 1859 went unregistered.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry the r mail was from the Central  Library in Manchester