Author Topic: Brueton's - Gun Makers/Metal Workers- Shoreditch/Stepney  (Read 3909 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brueton's - Gun Makers/Metal Workers- Shoreditch/Stepney
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
There is this marriage by license to a 'Catherine' but it's saying they are both 21 born in 1762. Might it mean over the age of 21?
It seems strange that they are both the same age AND both widowed at such a young age.
Thomas the chief gun maker, who has his name stamped on the pistols, is much older than this I would have thought.

Thomas Brueton
Marriage by License, 29 January 1783
Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom
Age   21
Marital Status Widow
Occupation Gun Maker
Spouse's Name   Catharine Bisset
Spouse's Residence County   Warwick
Spouse's Age 21
Spouse's Marital Status Widow
Spouse's Birth Year 1762

Offline AidanG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 February 22 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sally
I am descended from the Brueton gun makers too.

The family history, as you have noted, is extremely convoluted and difficult to research because of the name, the fact that they called their children similar names and all seem to be involved in the gun business for several generations.

I have made some attempts and this is what I have got so far:

Edward Brueton ~1788
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/14076806/person/342265130165/facts

Thomas Brueton (The principle gun maker) ~1728
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/14076806/person/516184805/facts

Elijah Brueton ~1818
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/14076806/person/342359331970/facts

Hope it helps!
Aidan

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 00:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Aidan. Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry but I'm not signed up to ancestry at the moment, so I can't view your links.

I would message you, but you need to make two more replies on the forums before I can do that. Due to site rules. 
All the best

Offline gwv1849

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 October 22 07:39 BST (UK) »
Gday, I am a newby.... Have some info on the Brueton Family... My 3 x g father John Venables married for the 2nd time 1848 Maria Brueton daughhter of Edward b1787 wife Elizabeth Cooper Aston Juxta. Maria lived in 202 Heneage St. and John Venables also lived in the same St. If youi are interested can supply further info. I live in Australia.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 October 22 14:54 BST (UK) »
Gday, I am a newby.... Have some info on the Brueton Family... My 3 x g father John Venables married for the 2nd time 1848 Maria Brueton daughhter of Edward b1787 wife Elizabeth Cooper Aston Juxta. Maria lived in 202 Heneage St. and John Venables also lived in the same St. If youi are interested can supply further info. I live in Australia.

Hi there gwv and g'day. Thanks for your reply. My Bruetons also lived at Heneage St. Do you know anything about Edwards parents or siblings?
All the best

Offline AidanG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 October 22 15:52 BST (UK) »
Here is what I have:

Offline gwv1849

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 October 22 02:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks reply... cant add much as to the early Bruetons. Maria's brothers George and William in 1857 were arrested for robbery and sentenced to 4 years jail in Woking. Maria nursed Johns wife Elizabeth Jones1802-1847 and sat the children while John worked in the Saltley Railways. Maria died 1864 aged 42 in Peachey Belt, South Australia from Dropsy. She had Caroline (born at sea) Alfred (died aged 1, Richard and Mary Jane died aged 11 from burns suffered on standing too close... and died 10 weeks later. Sorry i cant add to your line but thought you may be interested in the Australian connection. no photos available.