Author Topic: copies  (Read 1439 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: copies
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Writing this from memory because not at my computer but I *THINK* that windows generates a copy of a file when you're working on it and it disappears when you close it.  So if you're using file explorer/my computer to delete say a copy of a word doc WHILE YOU'RE WORKING ON THAT WORD DOC then it will just replace it with another copy.

I wasn't aware that a similar thing happened with entire user profiles though.
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 12:17 BST (UK) »
I am sorry as I seem to be messing every thing up
 On my desktop   This folder is a general folder with my blind golf work in it, all person work, receipts. Anything to do with me as I can't see very well now and I like to keep everything  together as it is easier for me to get to when I need my folder is marked user Jean and this is the one that is being copied all the time.
I do hope I have explained it better this time - it gets a bit annoying trying to hold the magnifying glass and type at the  same time ???
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
BevL, did you know there is an accessibility setting in Windows which will display everything at a larger size? I won't talk you through enabling it, as it will be much easier for you to have a friend or family member to do it for you.

Martin

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Does the folder in question have a little arrow on it similar to this?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hum
I do have my icons as  as large as I can get them, but with Macular Degeneration the words or numbers sometimes skip around the page!   I am in the process of getting a magnifying light to help me out.
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
Yes they do.
Bev

Offline tellx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 05:13 BST (UK) »
If it has that little curved arrow in the bottom left corner, it is a shortcut to the file. It has no information (other than where to link to) in it. Deleteing it should only delete the shortcut not the original file.
Terry, Greenway, Hudson, Conway, Simmonds, Childs, Oram, Dee, Bennett, Smith, Sturge, Bolas, Gibbons

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I will try to get rid of them one by one.   This happened a while ago and after that I didn't try it again but they are having so many babies it definitely needs to be culled
Thank you all for your help
Bev

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
If you open the folder with the arrow on it & delete what's inside you will be deleting the original files.
The folder with the arrow on isn't a copy. As Tellx said it's just a shortcut to the original folder.
You can delete the folder as this will just remove the shortcut but not what's inside.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/