Author Topic: Trying to find information on child in grave  (Read 1552 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Trying to find information on child in grave
« on: Tuesday 07 August 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
In Harton cemetery in South Shields I found the gravestone of a daughter of my great Aunt & Uncle Alfred & Jane (nee Todd) Thompson. Margaret Thompson b. 1879/80 d. 10 Feb 1951 aged 71. Also on the gravestone is Margaret Todd b. 1854 d. 29 May 1937 aged 82, she is the sister of Jane Thompson. Then there is a third person, an infant Clifford Collinson who died 4 December 1938 aged 8 and a half months. I have found the birth registration Apr-Jun 1938 and death registration Oct-Dec 1938 so that ties in. On the birth registration the mother's maiden name is stated as Thompson, is there anyway, without obtaining a death certificate, of obtaining the mothers Christian name as Margaret Thompson would have been 58 when giving birth (although it is still possible).
Any help would be appreciated otherwise it is obtaining the death certificate to unravel the mystery.
Many thanks, Paul Thompson
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find information on child in grave
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
deleted wrong one ::)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Since you have been to the Cemetery I presume you must be relatively local?

Have you tried going to the South Shields library to look for the actual burial record and a death notice in the Shields Daily Gazette as well as a memorial notice.  I would suggest looking at all of these - you never know - one of these may provide an answer or give further clues.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Silly me!  I have just checked and it seems you are from Australia.  So not exactly local .. ;D ;D

Are you here on holiday?  Is that how you got the photo?  Can you get to the library.. presuming you are on holiday over here?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
Cannot give you any information from ancestry.com but try this -

https://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/clifford-collinson_38611242

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
There are two further Collinson children born in South Shields with mmn Thompson in the 1940s - I can see marriages for both of them in South Shields. This would suggest their parents would still be in the area but I haven;t identified anyone as yet (certainly no marriage)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
There are two further Collinson children born in South Shields with mmn Thompson in the 1940s - I can see marriages for both of them in South Shields. This would suggest their parents would still be in the area but I haven;t identified anyone as yet (certainly no marriage)

The parents marriage appears to be the 1933 one in Islington (the groom has a fuller name on the marriage than given in the link by barryd from Ancestry)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hello River Tyne Lass,  thanks for helping again. Yes live in Australia and was visiting the Newcastle area recently. While there I walked around Westoe & Harton cemeteries and photographed every gravestone I could find with the surnames of ancestors that I know about in the ever expanding family tree. Now back in Perth I have been going through the photo's to see if I can find any that I already have information about and as we have a Margaret Thompson in our tree of about the same vintage and the surname Todd rang a bell I investigated and managed to connect the 2 of them but the Collinson had me baffled, however through Rootschat I was given a link to Ancestory and it all became clear. A Lilian Thompson the daughter of Margaret Thompsons brother married a Collinson and this is their son. Of course this now expands the tree into an area I have not even started on yet. Where does it end?!!!!!!! I was in the new S/Shields library (The Word) looking at records during June.

Thanks Barry D, yes spot on, when I looked at the link you gave me it has the family going back to where I have records so able to expand the tree and solve the mystery as well. Thank you.

Thanks Mabel for your information, I will start looking for the other children from the marriage. I'm trying to concentrate on immediate family but keep getting sidelined, I think that probably happens to everyone, when something crops up you just go for it.

Once again to all, thank you for your assistance, really appreciated. Another puzzle solved.
Cheers, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 05:05 BST (UK) »
deleted wrong one ::)

Hello Trish, it's been a while since you last helped me, the grandchild must be much older now!!!! Hope Sydney isn't copping as much rain as here in Perth. Cheers, Paul