Author Topic: Help with deciphering occupation and conflicting baptism records please.  (Read 4738 times)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with deciphering occupation and conflicting baptism records please.
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:10 BST (UK) »
I thought that the ceremony was performed by a different curate at St Peter's but looking at the record again I found the attached words at the side. It looks like it might say Off ...   which might imply the record had been taken from St Saviours?
H.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
I thought that the ceremony was performed by a different curate at St Peter's but looking at the record again I found the attached words at the side. It looks like it might say Off ...   which might imply the record had been taken from St Saviours?
H.

The snip shows R L Page Off(iciating) Min(ister).
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 August 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
So it was two different ministers at two different churches on the same day?

I seem to be going round in circles! ???

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 August 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
I don't see the problem? :-\

St. Saviour, as I said was an English Catholic church - part of the Anglican community, but they believed in such things as Confession, etc.

St. Peter was a standard Anglican church - or "normal".

The 2 baptism rites would have been different?
Maybe the father came from the one tradition, and the mother from the other?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 August 18 16:35 BST (UK) »
I agree with KGarrad --- I have seen a baptism of a child at both a C of E Church and a Non-Conformist Chapel. The parents clearly compromised in that case and possibly did in the case of your ancestor.

I really wouldn't be concerned about it -- it's much better than not finding a baptism at all --- which is the usual frustration for searchers.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 August 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
So it was two different ministers at two different churches on the same day?

I seem to be going round in circles! ???

I'm used to this scenario with my English R.C. ancestors in 18th & early 19th centuries, for baptisms and weddings. They seemed to do a lot of scurrying between chapel and parish church to comply with law and their own religion. Baptisms of children of one of these couples fills a page on Ancestry because each child appears to have had 2 baptisms. In their case only baptisms at the R.C. chapel were actually baptisms, the apparent C. of E. ones were just entries in the register for official purposes.  Earlier generations of these families may have had 2 baptisms for compliance sake.
 A famous incident in my ancestors' parish took place later in 19thC when the Catholic tenants "kidnapped" the corpse of their Catholic squire and took him to the Catholic chapel for a funeral, against the wishes of his Anglican widow. They returned him to his Hall in time for the official funeral cortege to take him to the parish church for C.of E. funeral and interment in the family vault.

I agree with Pennines, 2 ceremonies and double records are much better than one. I've found them to be an advantage because each register entry had information the other didn't. I was able to build a better picture of the families.

A couple of points to bear in mind for Thomas are high infant mortality and burials in churchyards. Parents may still have been afraid of losing him. Did St. Peter and St. Saviour's churches have graveyards?
Another famous burial case was that of a woman who died as a result of childbirth along with her baby. Family naturally wanted them buried together in the churchyard. The curate refused to bury the baby because it hadn't been baptised. A court case and much newspaper coverage ensued.
Cowban

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 10 August 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
The problem is that there are no Catholics in my family. Jane Ann was baptised in St. Denis, York, and was married in St George, Leeds - both C of E churches.

Thomas lived to the age of 29, and was buried in an Anglican cemetery, as was his mother. Of his two younger siblings, one was baptised in St Saviour and one in St Peter, so maybe just wherever was available at the time.

I think I will just have to let it go!

I was initially trying to find Thomas's father, William Greaves when I came across the baptisms. He seems to have disappeared after 1874 when the youngst son was born and although his mother, Jane Ann, called herself "widow" in 1881, she was in the workhouse as "married" in 1891 and buried in 1897 as "wife of William" I can't find a death for William during this time. Thomas's sister, Eliza Ann Greaves was my grandad's mother, so quite close, which is why I want to get my facts straight.

But that is a different story that I will now have to get back to researching!