Author Topic: james keenan  (Read 16730 times)

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: james keenan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am away right now and will post my ideas and questions when I return home later this month.

I dont have any of my info here with me, so I cant help out rifht now. :'(

Erin
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline Eileen Moynihan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
Erin, that's ok. I look forward to your info when you get back.

Wainsfort, a lot of that great information I had come across. I don't know about Patrick. I am following Laurence's son James Joseph's family. I am in touch with some of this James Joseph's family. I have noted that many of the boys have Joseph as their middle name.
I and an American cousin have come up with some quanderies about Laurence's wife Catherine Kenny.

In the 1911 census she is seen to be in the James Keenan/ Catherine Reilly house, and as having been married less than a year. But also in the 1911 census we also find her at her parents' house (possibly) visiting as Catherine Keenan.
Present in  house 2 Gorteenboy (Moydow, Longford) 1911 were:

Kenny Timothy, 76, Head of family, farmer, can read and write, and is married
Kenny Mary,71, wife, can read and write, married for 42 years, 7 children born, 6 living.
Kenny Bridget, 40, daughter, read and write, single.
Kenny James, 38, son, read and write, single
Keenan Catherine, visitor, 30, read and write, married less than one year.

In the 1901 census we are guessing that Catherine is Kathleen, as Catherine can sometimes be Kathleen, Kate or Katie. Present on census day in same household is:

Kenny Timothy 58 ( ages totally different) Head of house, farmer
Kenny Mary 56, wife
Kenny Bridget, 28, daughter, not married
Kenny Kathleen 22, daughter, not married
Kenny Michael 21, son, not married.

It is interesting what you said re
'The KENNY family connection. Michael Joseph KENNY, nephew, a scholar aged 10, born in Westmeath was present on the night of the census in 1901 and Bridget KENNY, niece, aged 24, occupation unspecified, was present in the Keenan household on census night in 1911. GRO birth certificates should be available for this family. As they are described as niece and nephew, they are related to the older generation of James KEENAN and Catherine Reilly, however it may be that Laurence married a KENNY cousin. His father’s name will be on his GRO marriage certificate. Again, a census search might turn this family up in Westmeath.'

Again my American cousin and I noted that the most likely Bridget Kenny in Westmeath in 1901 is in the household of House 1 in Slane More (Portloman Westmeath)

Present that night was:

Gavaghan Mathew, 60, Head of household, farmer, widower, born in Westmeath
Kenny Bridget, 14, niece, scholar, not married, born in Westmeath
Seery Edward, 33, farm servant, not married, born in Westmeath
Spollen Margaret, 22, general servant domestic, not married, born in Westmeath.

Offline Fred Jaeger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 August 15 22:01 BST (UK) »
James Keenan was born about 1835 in the Carrickedmond Abbeyshrule Tagsheenod vicinity. He married Catherine Reilly, you can insert the "o" if you so desire, she was born about 1846 also living in the Carrickedmond  Abbeyshrule vicinity. They were married in Carrickedmond 25 Apr 1866 the same day their Daughter Brigid was baptized. They lived in Morin Tagshinny Ballymahon, Longford and yes they did have 10 Children all were baptized in the  Carrickedmond Roman Catholic Church. The church is now known as Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church, Carrickedmond, County Longford. Baptismal Records for all of the children born prior to 1882 are available free of charge from the National Library of Ireland's new website for church registers. Search under Carrickedmond Archdiocese of Ardagh. Many of the Keenan's still live in the Abbeyshrule area even today

Laurence Keenan b 1873 was in fact married to Catherine Kenny 25 Jan 1911 Templemichael, Ardagh, Longford, Ireland, Her Parents were Francis Kenny and Catherine McNulty from Templemichael. They had 3 children James Joseph b 1915 married Bridget Dalton they had 8 children, Joseph . and Mary (May) who married Michael Lennon had 8 Children

So far I have been only able to verify Laurance's family to living decendents in Abbeyshrule today.

Brigid may have married a James Kenny from Currycreaghan and is annotated in both the 1901 and 1911 Census of Ireland living in house 2 that was owned by Christopher and Elizabeth Cummiskey. It appears that they did not have any children

The Kenny's are related to the Cummiskey's of Currycreaghan as far back as the 1833 Tithe Applotment. I believe this Kenny was a brother in law

Offline Eileen Moynihan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Fred for that information.