Author Topic: james keenan  (Read 16754 times)

Offline krull

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
james keenan
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 20:15 BST (UK) »
      my great grandfather james keenan,according to the 1901 census
he was 60 years old so he was born between 1840/41 in longford , i have not located his actuall birth date or where he was born ,He was married to a catherine O Reilly the o might have been dropped later,  iam looking for any info on them plus any you can give me.
she was 55 by 1901 they had 10 children ====bridget  1866  mary anne 1867
john 1869  catherine 1871  laurence 1873  james 1875  patrick 1878  edward 1881  thomas 1883
 and margaret 1885. most of his children were born in mornin
co longford and i have found 1 born in westmeath. i have searched on line records for longford and the igi the 1901 census states he was born in longford but i cannot find anything on him. anything will be great   thankyou

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: james keenan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi James,
I would recommend this site for investigation.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~irllog/churchrecs.htm
It answered many of my questions.
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Wainsfort

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am interrested also in this family. I identified 9 children born in Co. Longford. Children of James Keenan and Catherine Reilly:

i.   Brigid Keenan was baptised on 25th April 1866 in Carrickedmond, Co. Longford.
ii.   Maria Anna Keenan was baptised on 2nd September 1867 in Carrickedmond, Co. Longford.
iii.   John Keenan was baptised on 12th March 1869 in Carrickedmond, Co. Longford.
iv.   Catherine Keenan was born in 1871 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford. 
v.   Laurence Keenan was born in 1873 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford. 
vi.   James Joseph Keenan was born on 26th February 1875 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford.
vii.   Edward Joseph Keenan, born 1881 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford   
viii.   Thomas Joseph Keenan, born 1883 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford. 
ix.   Margaret Mary Keenan was born about 1886 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford.

What part of Westmeath was Patrick born in? The place in Westmeath would perhaps be Catherine's home place, which would be of interest. Do you know where they married?

Are you a Keenan grandson?

Best wishes,

Marie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 09 17:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Marie. Krull hasn't been online since 205 but will perhaps return or perhaps someone else will see your message and be able to prvode more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 April 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
I hope someone is still active with this family... I am curious if this is any relation to Brigid Keenan who later married Patrick Ledwith....
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline Eileen Moynihan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 July 14 16:19 BST (UK) »
I also am interested in this family, and had also found most of James and Catherine's children. My interest is because their son (if I have the right family) Laurence married a Catherine Kenny ( I believe). Laurence's son James Joseph Keenan married a Bridget Dalton ( whose mother was Sarah Cummiskey, and was a sister of my grandmother Ellen Cummiskey.) I need to check this is the right James Keenan and Catherine.

Offline Eileen Moynihan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 July 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Also looking for information on this family.

Offline Wainsfort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
James KEENAN and Catherine REILLY had 10 children between 1866 and 1886.
I was interested in the ancestors and descendants of James Joseph KEENAN who was born on 26th February 1875 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford. And also incidentally his brother Patrick, whose baptism I found but came across no further reference. What part of Westmeath was Patrick born in? The place in Westmeath could perhaps be his mother Catherine Reilly's home place, which would be of interest, as I was trying to trace her marriage.

I know nothing at all about James Joseph’s elder sister Brigid KEENAN who may have married Patrick LEDWITH.  This is a Westmeath surname. As Brigid KEENAN was in 1866 in Carrickedmond, Co. Longford her marriage certificate should be available in GRO records if she married in Ireland. I wonder where she lived, as this could be a help in locating her in the 1901/1911 census.

Laurence KEENAN, born 1873 in Mornin, Taghshinny, Co. Longford (Source: GRO Record, Ballymahon, 1873, vol. 8, p. 36). He married Catherine [?] about. 1910. .Laurence was known as Lar or Larry. In the 1901 Census, Laurence's year of birth is estimated to be 1875 although this conflicts with GRO and RC Parish records.  He is not married at this time.
He lived in the home place in Mornin. He married Catherine c. 1910.

I don’t know about the Kenny connection apart from the hints in the 1901/1911 census.

Present in the household in Mornin on census night in 1901 were:
James KEENAN, the head of the family, a Catholic 60 year old married farmer, who could read and write and was born in Co. Longford; Catherine Keenan, wife of the above, a Catholic housekeeper, who could read and write, also born in Co. Longford; their children, Bridget aged 33, housekeeper; Laurence, aged 26, farmer; Edward, aged 20, farmer; Thomas aged 18, farmer and finally Maggie Mary aged 15, scholar. All could read and write and Maggie Mary could speak both Irish and English. Also present was a nephew Michael Joseph KENNY. Not present on census night were Patrick, James Joseph, Catherine, Maria Anna and John.

On census night 1911 the following were present:
James KEENAN, now stating that his age is 76, his wife Catherine aged 65, now states that she was born in Westmeath rather than Longford as in 1901. The couple state that they have been married for 45 years and have had 10 children, all of whom are still living. Laurence is now 36, married to Catherine, aged 32 for less than a year and they have no children. Edward aged 30, a farmer's son is still living at home and single. Brigid KENNY, a single 24 year old niece from Westmeath is present as is Peter Nolan, a 12 year old servant, also described as scholar from Co. Longford.

The KENNY family connection. Michael Joseph KENNY, nephew, a scholar aged 10, born in Westmeath was present on the night of the census in 1901 and Bridget KENNY, niece, aged 24, occupation unspecified, was present in the Keenan household on census night in 1911. GRO birth certificates should be available for this family. As they are described as niece and nephew, they are related to the older generation of James KEENAN and Catherine Reilly, however it may be that Laurence married a KENNY cousin. His father’s name will be on his GRO marriage certificate. Again, a census search might turn this family up in Westmeath.

Offline Wainsfort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
I hope someone is still active with this family... I am curious if this is any relation to Brigid Keenan who later married Patrick Ledwith....

Erin,

I have just posted a note about this family and would welcome any further information about the Ledwith connection.

Marie