Author Topic: What does wearing this sash mean?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Phil Antony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What does wearing this sash mean?
« on: Tuesday 07 August 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a family picture dated from approximately 1901, which includes my Great Aunt Emily (attached), and also her sister-in-law who are both wearing what look like black sashes wrapped over their blouses. I haven't seen anything like this in other portraits so was wondering if it may symbolise membership to a society or cause of some kind? The family had close connections with churches and mission societies based around Bromley, Kent, and Hammersmith, so its a possibility there could be a connection there.
Has anyone seen anything similar in any family pictures of their own, or have any idea why it would be worn?
Thanks for any help.
Phil

Young
Saw
Holding
Kedge

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What does wearing this sash mean?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
Death of Victoria maybe?

Skoosh.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
I'm sure someone will be able to help you with this.

This looks like it is a bow attached to the bodice with a brooch with the tails of the bow wrapped around the waist.

Are you able to get a close up of the brooch? There looks to be some decoration there. I would have thought a membership to one of the societies you mention may have had some lettering on a buckle or brooch. This looks like diamante or jewels of some sort which I would expect might be too 'fancy'. Does the sister in law have the same brooch/buckle?

The 'sash'/'bow' looks to be very dark, probably black, and sits oddly on top of the bodice, so doesn't look as though it is part of the dress - it looks like it has been "pinned on".

No idea really - just a guess.  :) Interesting photo.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
I think it's a mourning sash with bow.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Phil Antony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
The brooch on the sash looks like it might have a fleur de lys decoration to it, but its difficult to see. Her sister-in-law has a small bouquet of flowers attached to her sash, so maybe the clasp is designed for that too?

A mourning sash is a possibility as there had been a death in the family about 6 months earlier, but there is another sister, plus another sister-in-law in the picture, and they aren't wearing sashes.
Young
Saw
Holding
Kedge

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
Are the other females you mention wearing dark clothing though?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
May be the lady is a touch over decorated for mourning.  I think jewellery was limited to jet or similar, not pearls.   
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Phil...can you post the whole photo.
Carol

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if your aunt is a friend of the deceased and not a relative, so is wearing the black sash just as a mark of respect. She also looks as if she has a black bow or hat on her hair.
There are several photos on Google images of children wearing black sashes, even one of a baby wearing black bows on the shoulders.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU