Author Topic: What does wearing this sash mean?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What does wearing this sash mean?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if your aunt is a friend of the deceased and not a relative, so is wearing the black sash just as a mark of respect. She also looks as if she has a black bow or hat on her hair.
There are several photos on Google images of children wearing black sashes, even one of a baby wearing black bows on the shoulders.
Pat

Yes I agree Pat...I have seen those too...also as Skoosh suggested, it could be to honour the death of Queen Victoria.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Phil Antony

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: What does wearing this sash mean?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 August 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Here's the whole picture so you can see Emilys' sister-in-law and the other relatives I mentioned. You can see the small bouquet of flowers fairly clearly attached to the sash.
I have had a look at Victorian/Edwardian sashes that were worn either for fashion or mourning, and haven't really seen one attached in the same style as the picture.
Young
Saw
Holding
Kedge