Author Topic: Evelyn Watson  (Read 3625 times)

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Watson
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
I think it is a euphemism for out of work! I know where they lived in all the places in the various census, I lived in the same area myself, back to back rented terraces houses, most of them have gone now, but they live forever on the web site Leodis, I grew up in these streets! Those witness names mean nothing to me, Ancestry have free access to Military records until tomorrow evening, I have just been looking but could not find anything. What happened to Roland has always eluded me, as I have mentioned before everyone said he died in the war, so for years I have been barking up the wrong tree, it was purely by accident that I found the web site “Yorkshire Indexers” and there he was buried in Harehills Cemetery, a stones throw from where I lived until getting married and yet no one spoke of this, My Grandmother Emma (Roland’s wife) was part of the family and was 80 when she died, The trouble is we discover these things when there is no one around who remembers them to share it with!
Tebbs... Leicester, Gainsborough, Lincoln, Hunslet,Harehills, Leeds
Daniel....Hyde Park Leeds, Paddington London
Russell...Harehills, Leeds
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)
Coop..Leicester, Birmingham
Payne..Leicester, Blackpool

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:18 BST (UK) »
Maybe probate in Ancestry would throw up some information if someone could do that for me.

Why use Ancestry when you can go to the original source?
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#calendar

Remember to select the tab for 1858-1996! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks.....I never knew that!
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the help given....I have found a record of the marriage of Evelyn Russell to Thomas Herbert Muir and I intend to send for the marriage certificate to check that this is my Evelyn, I would like to ask for one more look up please, Evelyn is not on the 1911 census with her father and brothers in Yorkshire, she married in 1915, so where was she living in the intervening years, where was she when the 1911 census was taken, if I could find this it would maybe give a clue as to how she met and married Thomas Herbert in 1915.
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 August 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
I think all the details of the marriage of Evelyn Russell to Thomas Herbert Muir have been given on this thread.
I would say it is the marriage of Evelyn Muir to William Watson that you might want to get.

However I think enough evidence has been given to confirm that this is indeed the same Evelyn throughout.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 August 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you lizdb, I also do believe that this Evelyn is Evelyn Russell, I will send for the marriage certificate for the other information that it may give me ie where was she living, what was her occupation etc. I would also like to find out how she came to marry someone from the London area when she came from a very poor background in Leeds.
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 August 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you lizdb, I also do believe that this Evelyn is Evelyn Russell, I will send for the marriage certificate for the other information that it may give me ie where was she living, what was her occupation etc.

If it's the marriage to Thomas Muir that you mean, a marriage certificate won't tell you any more than can be found in the image of the register at Ancestry. The register was completed at the time of the marriage, but a certificate might be taken from a transcribed copy of the register, so could contain errors. The image shows original signatures; in many cases certificates do not.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 August 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that is good advice, I think what worries me is that her father was named as Jack not John, possibly easy mistake but he certainly was not a man of private means, I just wondered if there was any reference to Yorkshire anywhere in the certificate. I have to admit that everything does seem to fit, I will send for the Muir /Watson marriage certificate instead. Thanks again.
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 August 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Many people named John are called Jack! ;D

It's very common.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)