Author Topic: Evelyn Watson  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Watson
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 11 August 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Yes, what I'm thinking is that John William Russell and Caroline Thompson Cartwright married and had 3 children - shown all together in 1891.

In 1901 they are found in separate households - she as Carry Ellis in Teddington, and he with the children in Leeds.

In 1911 they are again in separate households - she with Harry Ellis in Teddington and using his surname, and he at 1 Cawood Yard, Leeds (RG14/26920 sch42) as Jack Russell, with an Annie Elizabeth who is listed as if his wife.

I haven't managed to find a marriage for either of them to their new partners.

As luck would have it, both John/Jack and Caroline signed their 1911 census forms, so they can be compared with the ones in their marriage entry. Here they are (hopefully arranged in a helpful order) - I think they're pretty similar:

On re reading your post Caroline’s husband John William Russell is with his 2 sons Harold Frederick & Roland on 1911 c (family search shows him as William Russell married age 56 born Leeds pottery labourer ) if you compare JWR signature it looks very similar to the JWR as posted by Arthurk reply 38
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
You're quite right - so there's no evidence here that John took up with another woman. And the address in this 1911 entry is the same as the one in the burial register (16 Westlock Terrace). For anyone who wants to check the 1911 census, it's at RG14/27102 sch272.

I'll amend my earlier post to make clear that I had the wrong entry. (Done)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 13 August 18 21:48 BST (UK) »

I know this thread is finished but I would just like to share this, found on Family Search.....

Thomas Herbert Muir
It has been said that he and his brother John (*Jack) tossed a coin to see who would remain and run the business of Muir Electric in Vancouver B.C. and who would sign up for duty. Thomas went back to England to get married and was married only six months when he was killed. Tom was in a small hole about 6 ft by 2 ft with one of the Officers (there were only two men to each hole) when the bombardment commenced and a shell landed close t the hole but nearest to Tom and buried them both. Fortunately for the Officer, he had his head out but Tom was completely buried and when they got to him he was deceased. This story was quoted by his brother. Alfred in his letter of March 26 1917 addressed to Jack Muir.
Tebbs... Leicester, Gainsborough, Lincoln, Hunslet,Harehills, Leeds
Daniel....Hyde Park Leeds, Paddington London
Russell...Harehills, Leeds
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)
Coop..Leicester, Birmingham
Payne..Leicester, Blackpool