Author Topic: Unusual Birth locations  (Read 3351 times)

Offline pogo99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unusual Birth locations
« on: Wednesday 08 August 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
Just found a birth certificate of a 1st cousin 3x removed-Place of birth :- train carriage somewhere between Auchencruive and Ayr stations !!!!Anyone else got something out the ordinary?

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Birth locations
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Well, - here's one:

My Great, Great Grandmother, Maria Kneller Petty, who was born on the 12th February 1842 at Aldenham Reservoir, Hertfordshire to William Petty & Sarah Petty, (née Jones). The birth was registered by Sarah Petty, who gave her address as "Aldenham Reservoir."

Hopefully she wasn't Born actually 'in' the Reservoir :-)  William Petty was working as a Carpenter at the Reservoir at the time.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Much more recently, a girl I met at university had on her birth certificate 'Tent at foot of Mount Kilimanjaro' :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
Much more recently, a girl I met at university had on her birth certificate 'Tent at foot of Mount Kilimanjaro' :)

I wonder what her Nationality was recorded as? I can remember a girl I was at school with, who was Born in Singapore, because her Father was stationed there as an Army Officer, had great difficulty obtaining a British Passport.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have a few born in "unusual" places.

"At sea" for one chap, though it's mentioned as place of death for two who were not in the military. That has to be the biggest place anyone could mention.

H.M. Ship Rodney, which I understand was in Portsmouth in 1821. Why mum was on board a warship I can only speculate.

Sable Island, a virtually uninhabited sandbar about a hundred miles off the coast of Nova Scotia. Her parents were members of the lifesaving crew.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 20:23 BST (UK) »

I wonder what her Nationality was recorded as? I can remember a girl I was at school with, who was Born in Singapore, because her Father was stationed there as an Army Officer, had great difficulty obtaining a British Passport.

Romilly.
Romilly, I believe she was a British subject by parentage. I can't recall why her parents were out there
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:17 BST (UK) »
I too have an "at sea", but that obviously wasn't precise enough, so they added "between Capetown and Bombay". Then another hand added "(during a storm)". As if that would narrow it down a bit ...

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
Blyth Cemetery was the birth location. Dad was the superintendent.

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
One of my Maternal Aunts had her baby in kidney unit of a London Hospital 68 years ago.
The hospital did not have a maternity ward.
The pregnant woman was too ill to be moved to a Maternity Hospital.

The mother, my aunt had very poor health in her thirties, but lived to reach 93 years.

Jfch