Author Topic: Unusual Birth locations  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Birth locations
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 18 01:40 BST (UK) »
Watching a quiz show a couple of nights ago, a contestant related how he'd helped deliver a baby on the lawn outside a hospital!

And, years ago, a friend of mine got to the hospital, but had the baby in the lift going up to the delivery room  :)

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine had her (second) baby at Catford Bus Garage in South London. She hadn't planned to,  - but he arrived very suddenly!

I've often wondered what these people put for POB when they're filling in forms... (There often isn't much space:-)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 August 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
The Ferries that run between Gourock and Dunoon are called MV Jupiter and MV Saturn. Heavily pregnant women have to use the ferry to get to the maternity hospital so babies have been born on board.  There are people out there who can say can say they were born on Jupiter or Saturn.  It has always amused me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 August 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
Just found a birth certificate of a 1st cousin 3x removed-Place of birth :- train carriage somewhere between Auchencruive and Ayr stations !!!!Anyone else got something out the ordinary?

I hope it wasn't in one of the coal trucks on a train from a pit.
Cowban

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 August 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Much more recently, a girl I met at university had on her birth certificate 'Tent at foot of Mount Kilimanjaro' :)

I wonder what her Nationality was recorded as? I can remember a girl I was at school with, who was Born in Singapore, because her Father was stationed there as an Army Officer, had great difficulty obtaining a British Passport.

Romilly.

As long as the parents register the birth with the british consulate within a certain period of time it's fine (or was anyway) - mine was registered within 4 days, so it may be a week - I know my father said it wasn't long and quite a drive to go and do it

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 August 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
A woman I used to work with had her baby in the layby outside the local comprehensive school - she said she was just glad it was 3.30am rather than at school letting out time

My brotherinlaws great grandmother has the crown room, edinburgh castle as her place of birth - will try and upload the clip

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 August 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
I too have an "at sea", but that obviously wasn't precise enough, so they added "between Capetown and Bombay". Then another hand added "(during a storm)". As if that would narrow it down a bit ...

Regards

Chas

I have a death at sea where they have put the coordinates down (45°28"N 23°21.5"W) - more exact than middle of the north atlantic

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 August 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
A woman I used to work with had her baby in the layby outside the local comprehensive school - she said she was just glad it was 3.30am rather than at school letting out time

My brotherinlaws great grandmother has the crown room, edinburgh castle as her place of birth - will try and upload the clip

I'd love to know the story behind that one.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
My Auntie regularly told the story that "Our Dorothy was born in the Washouse"...no wonder she ended up working at Bentley's Laundry"  ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU