Author Topic: Marton in Craven - Parish Registers King Family 1600s  (Read 1571 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marton in Craven - Parish Registers King Family 1600s
« on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there my ancestor was a Henry King who resided in Marton at the 1672 Hearth Tax and was a resident of Mirehouse near Marton at his death in 1680. He became a Quaker and from the 1738 death entry of his son John King it is known Henry had six sons and four daughters.

I believe Henry's earliest children were baptised in Skipton from 1647 to 1650 and at some point after that he must have moved to Marton. I would very much like to know if his later children are baptised at Marton but I don't know where to find access to the registers.

I wonder if anyone perhaps has access to them at all please and could please do a check or help in any way? Or offer assistance on any other potential records for the area for the time.

With thanks and best wishes,
Jon

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marton in Craven - Parish Registers King Family 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
I might have found the info you require online at wharfegen.org.uk.
Hang on whilst I double check!
 Brian
Name    Henry King
Born    1606-1626     (Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven)
Gender    Male
Died   7mo 1680     [Mire House, West Marton, Marton-in-Craven] 
Buried    27da 7mo 1680     [Friends Burial Ground, Settle, Giggleswick]
Married    ca. 1646     
Children     
    1. John King
          b. 1647, Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven
          d. 28da 5mo 1738, Lothersdale, Carleton-in-Craven n  (Age 91 years)
    2. Henry King
          b. 1649, Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven
          d. Bef 1706, [Mire House, West Marton, Marton-in-Craven]   (Age < 56 years)
    3. William King
          b. 1650, Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven
          d. 17da 3mo 1714, [Oak Cliff, Lothersdale, Carleton-in-Craven]  (Age 64 years)
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
... I would very much like to know if his later children are baptised at Marton but I don't know where to find access to the registers.

I wonder if anyone perhaps has access to them at all please and could please do a check or help in any way? Or offer assistance on any other potential records for the area for the time.

Marton in Craven registers are at FindMyPast. They're certainly available to browse, but I'm not sure how much they're indexed - looking for baptisms of anyone called William in 1650 +/- 40 years brought up only 4 results. Or maybe there are gaps.

The original BTs are, I think, at West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds - probably part of the Archdeaconry of Richmond collection. In theory this should mean they are at Ancestry, but I haven't managed to find them there. However, there appear to be a lot of gaps.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Looks like an in-person visit to North Yorks.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/EastMarton/EastmartonPRlocation

Thanks very much for the link.

Yes this would be tricky for me to do! Hopefully copies are at the Society of Genealogists in London!

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:26 BST (UK) »
I might have found the info you require online at wharfegen.org.uk.
Hang on whilst I double check!
 Brian
Name    Henry King
Born    1606-1626     (Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven)
Gender    Male
Died   7mo 1680     [Mire House, West Marton, Marton-in-Craven] 
Buried    27da 7mo 1680     [Friends Burial Ground, Settle, Giggleswick]
Married    ca. 1646     
Children     
    1. John King
          b. 1647, Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven
          d. 28da 5mo 1738, Lothersdale, Carleton-in-Craven n  (Age 91 years)
    2. Henry King
          b. 1649, Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven
          d. Bef 1706, [Mire House, West Marton, Marton-in-Craven]   (Age < 56 years)
    3. William King
          b. 1650, Embsay, Skipton-in-Craven
          d. 17da 3mo 1714, [Oak Cliff, Lothersdale, Carleton-in-Craven]  (Age 64 years)

Thank you very much for checking this out for me. However interestingly this is from my own research that I then shared with Ben Beck for his website! http://benbeck.co.uk/fh/binns.html

These are children of Henry King and his wife, who I believe was called Margaret, that I have identified from poring through various Quaker records and making deductions from places and family ties...

1. John King (1647–1738) Baptised Skipton. Although the age he would have been at death this John perhaps died and a second son named John was born later.

2. Henry\Henery King (1649–1737) Baptised Skipton. Again given the age he would have been at death this Henry perhaps died and a second son named Henry was born later.

3. unknown Kinns\?Kinng (?–1649). Buried Skipton. Burial of a child who could perhaps be John or Henry.

4. William King (1650–1714). Baptised Skipton. Married Mary Parker 1681. His father is known to have resided at Mirehouse near Marton as this is given on his Quaker death entry. William's daughter Abigail King/Binns was born at Mirehouse in 1682 so perhaps William was his eldest son and both John and Henry died and later children were given the same names. 

5. Thomas King (bef c1672–1735)

6. Mary King/Slater (bef c1673–aft 1692)

7. Lawrence King (bef c1680–1724)

8. Margaret King/Walbank (bef c1681–1732)

9. 10. The Quaker death entry of John from 1738 states he was the last of 6 brothers and 4 sisters so there were further children. The child who died in 1649 may or may not have been included in this total.

It is the later children's baptisms I am looking for.

Thanks so much again though for looking and posting.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
... I would very much like to know if his later children are baptised at Marton but I don't know where to find access to the registers.

Marton in Craven registers are at FindMyPast. They're certainly available to browse, but I'm not sure how much they're indexed - looking for baptisms of anyone called William in 1650 +/- 40 years brought up only 4 results. Or maybe there are gaps.

The original BTs are, I think, at West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds - probably part of the Archdeaconry of Richmond collection. In theory this should mean they are at Ancestry, but I haven't managed to find them there. However, there appear to be a lot of gaps.

Thanks very much for replying. Just tried to find the Marton in Craven registers at findmypast and couldn't. Any chance you could post the link to that collection please?

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
Given the link I provided earlier regarding wharfegen, 486 named individuals named together with family links.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 August 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for replying. Just tried to find the Marton in Craven registers at findmypast and couldn't. Any chance you could post the link to that collection please?

Go to A-Z of record sets, (optionally) select England, type Yorkshire (or just Yorks), then select "Yorkshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts Browse" and pick the parish you want.

if you get lost, the start page for browsing the registers is
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/yorkshire-parish-registers-and-bishops-transcripts-browse
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk