Author Topic: Marton in Craven - Parish Registers King Family 1600s  (Read 1574 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marton in Craven - Parish Registers King Family 1600s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 August 18 15:54 BST (UK) »
Given the link I provided earlier regarding wharfegen, 486 named individuals named together with family links.
 Brian

Thanks, Brian. Will check it out.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 August 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for replying. Just tried to find the Marton in Craven registers at findmypast and couldn't. Any chance you could post the link to that collection please?

Go to A-Z of record sets, (optionally) select England, type Yorkshire (or just Yorks), then select "Yorkshire Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts Browse" and pick the parish you want.

if you get lost, the start page for browsing the registers is
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/yorkshire-parish-registers-and-bishops-transcripts-browse

Thanks so much for this. I had not idea these were there! There are the registers for Marton for the period I want to look at. Looks like I need to resubscribe to findmypast!

For future people who may find this, the link to the image of the records is here https://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-images/yorkshire-parish-registers-and-bishops-transcripts-browse?place=marton%20in%20craven

Thanks again,
Jon

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 August 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
The original BTs are, I think, at West Yorkshire Archives in Leeds - probably part of the Archdeaconry of Richmond collection. In theory this should mean they are at Ancestry, but I haven't managed to find them there. However, there appear to be a lot of gaps.

I've just had another look for these at Ancestry, and can't see any sign of them. Taking care to avoid gaps (as given in the National Index of Parish Registers) I tried searching for names that were in the parish register, and came up with nothing. The list of datasets at Ancestry also came up with nothing relevant when I tried with keywords such as Richmond, archdeaconry, bishop and transcript.

Incidentally, while doing this I discovered that what FindMyPast have for the oldest two registers is actually an early 20th century transcript. I've no idea whether those original registers still survive, and if so, what state they might be in.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 00:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Arthur. I have now had a look at these transcripts of the registers made in 1887 and 1907. The latter seems more complete but the registers are damaged so there are entries missing or unreadable.

However I ave been able to find out the following that I thought I would share here for any other future researchers to find.

Looking at the records it seems that a William Kynge married in Marton in 1561. They had one child in 1566 whose name is lost and potentially others as the records are damaged. William Kynge of West Marton was buried in 1571 and as an Alice Kynge widow of West Marton was buried in 1604 I assume this was his wife.

A Henry King is in the records from 1599 to 1617 and appears to have had three wives. His first wife Isabel was buried in 1599, his second wife whose name is lost was buried in 1617 and his third wife Isabel Slater (who he married in 1617) was buried in 1619.

With his second wife Henry had an infant buried in 1601, William King in 1602, Henry King in 1604, twins James and Alice in 1606 (I have now learnt thanks to their baptism that 'gemelli' is Latin for twins) and a son whose name is lost in 1608.

As Henry named a daughter Alice and given the location I assume that Henry was the son of William and Alice King - perhaps the child with the lost name baptised in 1566.

After these entries the only other King I have found in the records is that of a Jane King daughter of Henry King in 1644. This ties in with the three baptisms in Skipton born to Henery Kynge in John in 1647, Henry in 1649 and William in 1650. His residence is recorded as Embsay.

It therefore seems possible that the Henry King who I believe is my ancestor and who had children in Craven in the 1640s and 1650s is perhaps the Henry King baptised in Marton in Craven in 1604.

Henry King was in Marton in 1644, then was in Embsay from 1647-1650 before ending up back in Mire House in Marton where he resided at the time of his death in 1680.   

However after this 1644 baptism for Jane there are no more King references in the 1600s registers of Marton at all so it doesn't shed any more light on when my Henry converted to Quarkerism. What I really need to try and do is find more references to him somewhere.

I now need to see the parish registers for the 1600s for the nearby Broughton, Thornton, Gisburn to see if there is any trace of Henry King there.

Thanks again for all for your replies.

Kind regards,
Jon

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Some of the local history societies in that area have put useful material online. For example, among other items, the Earby Local History Society have transcripts of the Thornton PRs at http://www.earbyhistory.co.uk/parish-records/4561597133

The links on that page don't explain exactly which is which, but when you hover you can see the details in the name of each pdf file. This index is based on the PRs, which aren't complete. The BTs aren't either, but there are a few years where one fills a gap in the other. Images of both are at FindMyPast.

The North Craven Heritage Trust also has an online archive - possibly a bit out of area, but I've found Gargrave material there - http://www.northcravenheritage.org.uk/EVENTS/F/NCHT/home.html

If you haven't yet done so, it might be worth looking at wills - FamilySearch has a useful guide to what's where at https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Exchequer_and_Prerogative_Courts_of_the_Archbishop_of_York
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this, Arthur.

Have just had a look and there are no Kings in the 1600s in Thornton however these entries are probably connected:

Baptism:
1726/08/26 Thos King son of Henrici King a weaver of Thornton

Marriage:
1729/11/26 Maria King of Carleton & Tho: Cherrick of Thornton farmer (FAC) Carleton

Thanks so much for this link to be able to check.

Jon