Author Topic: Medical Corps Boer War minimum age and desertion  (Read 256 times)

Offline carolelmsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medical Corps Boer War minimum age and desertion
« on: Wednesday 08 August 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, my grandfather was born in Feb 1883, and joined up in May 1899 citing his age as 17 years and 2 months (really 16 years 3 months). I was given to understand that he was in the Boer War, but have found that he was in the medical corps and his record indicates desertion on 1 Jan 1900. I know that he saw some difficult things whilst in service, and have wondered if he actually deserted or whether this was a 'record' of his not being old enough to join up. My family always spoke of his lying about his age to join up, then being discharged with valvular disease of the heart, before rejoining some years later under a slightly different name, (looks like 1905), when I understand he served in Ireland in the cavalry.  Are there any sources that I can check for the Ireland service, (to find out when he left), or to get more information about whether he actually served in South Africa and whether this was a true desertion? Any help much appreciated.

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Corps Boer War minimum age and desertion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Can you give us a few more details: name, where he was born, etc?

Cati
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Corps Boer War minimum age and desertion
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
As Cati suggests, post his details.

Meanwhile, have you found him on the anglo boer war site (you said you were "given to understand").
https://www.angloboerwar.com/ go to name search.

Do you have access to Ancestry and//or Findmypast or any other genealogical sites and have you looked there?

The age thing isn't really significant, boys often lied about their age and the system wasn't over keen on checking.  In any event, at that time one could serve from 14.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia