Author Topic: Patrick Cain or Kane of Newport, Mayo - is Kilmore in Burrishoole?  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Clarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick Cain or Kane of Newport, Mayo - is Kilmore in Burrishoole?
« on: Wednesday 08 August 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
Dear all,
This is (I think) my first post to the Mayo Board.
I am in a youth hostel in Mayo with very poor phone signal but am hoping to have a little drive around the “lands of my fathers” before I leave Mayo in 4 days time. I’m trying to use my iPhone but the Griffith valuation maps won’t work.
So:
I have an ancestor called Patrick Kane or Cain or Caine, who was born in about 1810-1816.  He once gave his place of birth on the UK Census as Newport Mayo.  His marriage certificate gave his father’s name as James.
In 1851 he was a 40 year old widower when he married a 19 year old widow Winifred Lavell, formerly Macnamara from Longford, Mayo.  They eventually ended up in Sunderland, but only after their daughter Mary was born, also in 1851.  The witness was Honor Cain, whom I have never been able to find again.
The tithe applotments and Griffith Valuation have a Pat cain living in 1832 in Kilmore Cain in Burrishoole Parish.  Kilmore seems to be divided up by surname (there is also kilmore Coyne, where the Coynes are and Kilmore Kelly, Kilmore Nolan, etc).  They are clearly in Burrishoole parish on the Griffith and Tithe records.
Is his Kilmore different from the Kilmore in Mayo, which doesn’t seem to be in Burrishool parish? It seems to me it is Burrishool parish I should be looking for, since he specified Newport and there is a Pat Cain there (and a James on Griffith).  Does anyone know where Kilmore in Burrishoole is, so I could go and have a look at it?  Might there be an Irish name?

Also, can anyone find any info on his first marriage (or any others) - I can’t find anything in Liverpool, but he is 40 and a widower, so i assume he might have married in Burrishoole. I have searched on and off for some time but can’t find anything.

I’d be so grateful for your help.
If I end up going to Burrishool I’d be pleased to take photos. 

Best wishes,
Clarrie
Sunderland/Ireland: Coyne, Patterson, Cane, Kane, Purdy, Gildea, Layden, Conlon, McAllister, Ruddy
Northumberland: Mosman, Miller, Alder, Atkinson,
South Shields/Belfast: Purdy, Johnson
Newcastle /Ireland: Layden, Doyle
Sunderland/Northumberland: McLaren
Liverpool/Ireland/Sunderland: Caine, Kane, Lavell, Macnamara
Ireland (Wexford): Wafer, Kavanagh, McGuire, Byrne, Hughes
Ireland (wicklow/Dublin): Ryan, Toole, Brien
Ireland (Belfast): Purdy, Pye
Ireland (Mayo): Kane, MacNamara, Lavelle

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Cain or Kane of Newport, Mayo - is Kilmore in Burrishoole?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
If you ancestor stated he was from NEWPORT CO MAYO this is in Burrishoole Parish.As you say  3 James and one John  CAINE in Griffths Val list, but this James may be same  man renting different lands, I haven't looked at the actual list to see whether a house or just lands listed.

There are many Townlands  called Kilmore  in 1901 Census but none in Burrishoole Parish.

By 1901 only one household in Newport a Margaret Caine note spelling aged 75.
Newport is a small town, depending on where you are can be visited either from Westport about 8miles or from Castlebar again same distance. If you have no car check out bus times as they are not very frequent, Newport is also on the Achill Route.

Killeen Cemetery has several Caine's buried.

Newport is a nice place to visit  enjoy.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
It's in the Applotment Books Kilmore has the surnames attached.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587409/004587409_00428.pdf

The first page clearly gives the parish as Burrishoole
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587409/004587409_00421.

Looking at some of the other townlands a few which seem to be the same places (the spellings are off) are in Burrishoole.
This is one I did find Carrickanedy?
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587409/004587409_00426.pdf
 is Carrickanedy just south of Newport
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,499578,793217,8,9
but some of them are baffling.
Too late to try any more now, but it looks like a lot of the names have fallen out of use or changed which may be the case with these Kilmores.