Author Topic: Ebenezer Pugh and Richard W. Pugh,Laurel Cottage and Rose Cottage, Hay 1939  (Read 2181 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezer Pugh and Richard W. Pugh,Laurel Cottage and Rose Cottage, Hay 1939
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 August 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
As Richard seems to have been registered as Wooding with no mother's maiden name
and Henry Pugh's wife Ann had the maiden name of Wooding and Richard is described as nephew in 1891 (son in 1881) -and Richard Wooding was baptised in Roath cardiff with parents William & Mary Ann- I am wondering if Mary Ann Wooding was his mother and William ???? his father and maybe their relationship didn't work out ? Mary Ann then took Richard to her Aunt Ann and Uncle Henry Pugh to be raised.(in 1861 they had a one year old boarding with them so I guess they liked children.)
although in 1861 Henry and Ann Pugh had a daughter Mary A age 4 living with them -wonder if she was born just before marriage ?? Will check that out

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 August 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Getting back to the original request - possibly Ebenezar Pugh was related to Henry Pugh (or his family)-but we must remember Pugh is not an unusual surname in Wales

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you..  Suzard and Rosie99!!

I have the following additional information...

The 1911 Census shows Dickie Woodin Pugh, age 29, born Cardiff Glamorganshire with his wife Elizabeth, age 28. born Cusop Herefordshire, married for less than 1 year, no children, living at Brook Cottage, Colebrook, Bronllys. Dickie was employed as a platelayer for the railways.

A National Railworkers Trades Union record shows Richard Pugh’s admission as a Platelayer in Breconshire age 32 in 1914 and death in 1947.

A National Railworkers Trades Union record shows Ebenezer Pugh’s admission as a Reliefman age 32 in 1903, assigned to Builth, Breconshire.

A birth record of Ebenezer Pugh, born 3rd quarter of 1873.

An 1891 Census record of him age 17, a scholar, born in Llanfilo Breconshire.

A 1901 Census record of him age 27, a railway Porter, as a boarder in St Clement, Radnorshire

From what I can see, I don't think that Ebenezer and Richard were directly related, and I think they met up with each other on the Railways. Ebenezer seems to have been a little better off because Vine Cottage had 6 rooms, and Richard's Brook Cottage only four.

I opt for Richard W as Dickie Woodin a nephew of Henry Pugh, Tailor, who lived in Purgatory Cottage (really!!) in Glasbury in 1891... It was William next door who lived in Brook Cottage.

And just to cap it all, Google Maps found Brook Cottage to be in Velindre.. half way between Bronllys and Glasbury!!

You can see Colebrook Cottage at http://www.mccartneys.co.uk/pdf.php?vars=propertypdf-lettings-mccrps-HAY140187, see attached

I think we should let Ebenezer and Richard Rest in Peace

Thanks to you all in Rootschat! You are a great resource full of great people!

Llanfi

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser